Last Updated on
Aval Kesari (also called Poha Sheera) is a easy sweet recipe made with poha/beaten rice. This tasty dessert is ready in few minutes.
Aval kesari recipe with step by step pictures – Aval kesari also called as poha sheera /avalakki kesari bath /atukula kesari is a south Indian sweet made with poha, ghee, sugar, cardamom and nuts.Among the South Indian states, aval kesari is widely popular in the state of Tamilnadu. Its a very simple dessert which is popularly made during Gokulshatami. Poha is believed to be one of the favorite ingredients of Lord Krishna. It is also made as neivedyam during Ganesha Chaturthi and Navratri.
Kesari made with rava is quite popular all around India.There are many other variations like banana kesari (popular during festivals), pineapple kesari and mango kesari. I have a rava kesari with condensed milk in my blog.
Most of the kesari recipes calls for orange food color. I personally don’t like using food colors in cooking.So I soaked some saffron in warm water and used it to get a pale yellow color in the recipe.
Few halwa recipes from my blog–
Aval Kesari/Poha Sheera recipe
- Poha/Aval/Avalakki- 1 cup
- Sugar- ¾ cup
- Ghee- ¼ cup
- cashew- 2 tbsp ( halved or whole)
- water- 1.5 cups
- saffron - few strands
- Warm Milk - 2 tbsps
- crushed cardamom - ½ tsp
- Heat 2 teaspoons of ghee (clarified butter) in a pan.
- Add the halved or full cashew to the ghee.
- Fry the cashew until golden brown. Remove and set a side.
- Add one cup of poha to the ghee.
- Roast the poha in low to medium flame for about five minutes. Poha will get slight crispy and change the color.
- Add boiling water to the roasted poha.
- cook the poha till the water is absorbed.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the saffron soaked milk and keep stirring the mixture.
- It will start to thicken.
- Add the remaining ghee, cardamom powder and cashew. simmer for another minute.
- Turn off the stove and serve the aval kesari is ready to be served.
Aval Kesari recipe with step by step pictures-
Heat 2 teaspoons of ghee (clarified butter) in a pan.Add the cashew nuts to the ghee.
Fry the cashew until golden brown. Remove and set a side.
Add one cup of poha to the ghee.
Roast the poha in low to medium flame for about five minutes. Poha will get slight crispy and change the color.
Add boiling water to the roasted poha.
Cook the poha till the water is absorbed.
Add the sugar and mix well. If you like it very sweet., add another teaspoon of sugar,
Next, add the saffron soaked milk and keep stirring the mixture.
It will start to thicken. Add the remaining ghee, cardamom powder and cashew. Simmer the sheera for another five minutes.
The kesari will start leaving the sides of the pan.
Turn off the stove and serve the aval kesari.
You may also like my 15 Indian Sweets recipes