Barley, kale and black bean salad recipe– This is a very colorful and wholesome salad. This barley salad is inspired from the flavors of south west cuisine. Barley, veggies and black beans are tossed in a sweet and spicy chilli lime vinaigrette. The combination of sweet and spice really goes well in this salad. The much needed crunch for the salad comes form the toasted peanuts.Barley, kale and black bean salad is a great recipe for lunch and dinner.
Kale in this salad can be replaced with spinach. Both jalapeno or for the green chili works in the recipe, just remove the vein and the seeds. Skip the peanuts to make it a nut free recipe..
If you are looking for a light salad, check out my cherry tomato cucumber salad
Barley , kale and black bean salad video recipe-
What can I replace Barley with?
Barley can be replaced by pasta or brown rice.
What other greens can I use in the salad?
Spinach is a great substitute.
More salad recipes –
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below. For more recipes and to see what’s cooking in my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
Barley, kale and black bean salad detailed recipe–
BARLEY, KALE AND BLACKBEAN SALAD
- Cooked Barley -½ cup
- Kale-1 cup
- Black beans-⅓rd cup
- Bell pepper -¼ cup any color is ok
- Snap peas-¼ cup
- Spring onion- 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Toasted peanuts -¼ cup
Chill lime vinaigrette-
- Olive oil- 2 tsps
- Lime juice-3 tsps
- Cumin powder-½ tsp
- Chopped green chilly (or jalapeño) -½ tsp remove seeds
- Crushed black pepper -¼ tsp
- Honey -½ tsp
- Salt to taste
To make the vinaigrette-
- Add all the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar. Close the cap and shake the bottle few times until well combined
To make the barley salad-
- Cook the barley and let cool completely.
- Chop the bell pepper, snap peas and spring onion.
- Wash the kale few times in the water by rubbing them between your palms. This will help with softening the kale leaves.
- In a large bowl combine the barley, veggies, black beans, kale and the vinaigrette.
- Toss until well combined and check for seasoning and adjust. Top the salad with toasted peanuts.
- Make the salad 15 minutes before serving. This will help the kale to mellow out and soften a bit and the vinaigrette will steep in to all the veggies.
- Enjoy this healthy and wholesome salad which is a meal by itself.
More Salad Recipes