Last Updated on
Barley, kale and black bean salad recipe– This is a very colorful and wholesome salad. This barley salad is inspired from the flavors of south west cuisine. Barley, veggies and black beans are tossed in a sweet and spicy chilli lime vinaigrette. The combination of sweet and spice really goes well in this salad. The much needed crunch for the salad comes form the toasted peanuts.Barley, kale and black bean salad is a great recipe for lunch and dinner.
Kale in this salad can be replaced with any spinach as well. You can also use a jalapeño for the green chili. You can also skip the peanuts to make it a nut free recipe.
If you are looking for a light salad, check out my cherry tomato cucumber salad
Barley , kale and black bean salad video recipe-
Barley, kale and black bean salad detailed recipe–
BARLEY, KALE AND BLACKBEAN SALAD
- Cooked Barley -1/2 cup
- Kale-1 cup
- Black beans-1/3rd cup
- Bell pepper -1/4 cup any color is ok
- Snap peas-1/4 cup
- Spring onion- 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Toasted peanuts -1/4 cup
Chill lime vinaigrette-
- Olive oil- 2 tsps
- Lime juice-3 tsps
- Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Chopped green chilly (or jalapeño) -1/2 tsp remove seeds
- Crushed black pepper -1/4 tsp
- Honey -1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
To make the vinaigrette-
- Add all the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar. Close the cap and shake the bottle few times until well combined
To make the barley salad-
- Cook the barley and let cool completely.
- Chop the bell pepper, snap peas and spring onion.
- Wash the kale few times in the water by rubbing them between your palms. This will help with softening the kale leaves. You can also dress the salad 15 minutes before serving. This will help the kale to mellow out and soften a bit.
- In a large bowl combine the barley, veggies, black beans, kale and the vinaigrette.
- Toss until well combined and check for seasoning and adjust. Add the toasted peanuts and serve this healthy and wholesome salad which is a meal by itself.
I have a video recipe of another salad which is nutritious and healthy, green moong dal and barley salad (kosambari)