Last Updated on
Bhindi masala is a stir fried okra made with onion, tomato and spices. It is served as a side dish in accompaniment with chapathi, pulkas or rice and dal.
Okra is called bhindi or ladies finger and is one of the most loved vegetables in India
Some of the Okra recipes form the blog –
How to remove sliminess from okra?
Wash the okra and spread them on a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and let dry for a while before using it.
If you are short of time wipe the washed okra completely and then proceed to cutting them.
Make sure the cutting board, knife and our hands are dry while cutting the okra.
While cooking do not over crowd the pan and season with salt only at the end.
While cooking, do not cover the okra with a lid, because covering will trap the stream and releases
Cook the okra slow and study, which helps in reducing the sliminess.
How do you pick good okra?
Look for okra which are bright green color, fresh, tender and no spots on them.
You can also snap off the tip and its should break of easily, means the okra is tender and good to go. (I have seen many many people do that, but personally I have never done that.)
Few Indian Stir Fry recipes-
How to cook Bhindi Masala Curry (with step by step pics)
1)Wash the bhindi and pat them dry by wiping each bhindi piece or spread them on a clean towel and let fry for a while.
2)Using a clean cutting board and knife, cut the bhindi to 1/2 inch pieces.
3) In a pan (i used a cast iron pan) heat some oil and pan fry the bhindi in low-medium heat, stirring often. It should take about 12-15 minutes to cook bhindi. do not rush, if not the bhindi will brown and not cook from inside.
4) Transfer the okra to a plate, wipe off any seeds and heat some more oil. If short of time you can use two pans and cook the okra in one pan and the masala in another and mix at the end.
5) Once the oil gets hot, add the cumin seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
6) Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook till onion turns soft.
7) Now add in the ginger and green chily and cook for 30 seconds.
8) Add the tomato and turmeric and cook till mushy.
9)Add the chily powder, garama masala, coriander powder, salt and sugar (if using). Coat the spices to the onion tomato mixture and cook for a minute.
10) Add the stir fried bhindi and mix well and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
110 Finally add lots of coriander leaves and lemon juice and turn off the stove.
Bhindi Masala Fry recipe card-
Bhindi Masala Fry
- bhindi about 25-30, okra, ladies finger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 green chilly, slit or chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsps oil
- handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar, optional
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp red chilly powder, i used kashmiri red chilly powder which is mild
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander leaves, or to taste
Cleaning & Cooking bhindi-
- Wash the bhindi and drain them. Wipe the bhindi with a clean kitchen towel and let them dry on the counter top for some time.
- Chop the bhindi to 1/2 inch pieces, discard the tips
- In a pan add a table spoon of oil and add the bhindi pieces. Cook the bhindi in low-medium flames for 10-12 minutes till soft. Set a side.
Making the masala gravy-
- After the bhindi is cooked, remove the bhindi in to a plate and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat the rest of the oil and add the cumin seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and some salt and cook till onion turns soft.
- Now add the green chily and ginger and cook for 45 seconds.
- Add the tomato and turmeric powder and cook till mushy.
- Add the coriander powder, red chilly powder, garam masala, salt and sugar.
- Cook the spices for a minutes, mixing continously.
- Add the cooked okra, mix and simmering the bhindi fry for 7-8 minutes.
- Finally add the lemon juice and coriander leaves, mix and turn off the stove.
Few Dals which can be served with Bhindi masala