Last Updated on
I adopted this recipe from paula deen of food network. It is definitely a healthy snack and could be made with just the ingredients we have in the pantry. I am very fond of black eyed peas, i use them in many of my dishes like- sambar, curry, snack(sauteing it with some oil and chillies) and of course these cutlets.
These cutlets are very soft and must be handled with gentle care.
Makes about 10 cutlets.
- Black eyed peas(alasandu)- 1 cup(uncooked)
- Medium green bell pepper(capscium)- 1
- small onion-1
- garlic cloves-2
- all purpose flour(maida)-few teaspoons
- crushed black pepper- 1/4 tsp
- Red chillie powder- 1tsp
- The black eyed peas have a thinner skin, no presoaking is required before cooking. Pressure cook the black eyed peas, it should be soft but still hold its shape.
- Drain the water and squeeze the peas just a little.
- Now add finely chopped green bell pepper, onion, garlic, red and black pepper, cilantro and salt.
- Mix it well, taste and re-season accordingly.
- Now make a pattie, dust both sides of the pattie with all purpose flour(maida).
- Take a non stick pan, add few teaspoons of oil and cook the pattie for three minutes on each side.
- Serve with some tomato ketchup or maggi hot & sweet tomato sauce.
- These cutlets are little soft immediately after cooking. If you prefer it little firm, just leave the cutlets for few minutes and then serve it.
Black eyed peas (Alasandu) cutlet with tomato ketchup