Curry’s cooked in milk (Palu Posina Kura) is fairly a common method used in Andhra cuisine. The vegetable i used today is Bottle gourd (Sorakay/Doodhi). Bottle gourd is cooked in garam masala, ginger, red chilly powder and simmered in milk. This gives the curry a very intersting sweet and spicy taste.
This curry can be eaten with Chapathi and rice.
Bottle gourd (Sorakaya/Doodhi) – 2 cups (peeled and cut to bite size pieces)
Milk- ¾th cup
Ginger- ½ inch, chopped fine
Garam Masala – ¼th to ½ tsp
Red chilly powder- ½ to 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- ¼th tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
Chana dal – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Few curry leaves and
- Asafatedia- a pinch
- In a skillet do the tempering by adding the oil. When it gets hot add the chana dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Fry for few seconds and add the ginger and Asafatedia
- Add the bottle gourd pieces, turmeric and some salt. Mix and close the lid.
- Cook till the bottle gourd gets soft, stirring in between.
- Add the garam masala and red chilly powder .Cook for another two minutes.
- Add the milk, reduce the heat and cook for another ten minutes.
- Finally adjust the salt and finish it off with coriander leaves.