Last Updated on
learn how to make bread upma ,a quick and easy recipe made with bread. you can use both white or wheat bread. Serve the bread upma as breakfast, kids lunch box or a snack.
Bread upma Recipe:
- Whole wheat bread or White bread – 3 slices cut to small piece
- Small onion- 1 thinly sliced
- Bell pepper ( capsicum) any color is ok- 1 thinly sliced
- Small Tomato- 1 chopped
- Green chilly – 1 chopped fine
- Coriander powder- 1/4 th tsp
- Tomato chily sauce – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- sugar – 1/8th tsp
- pinch of turmeric
- Oil- 3 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- In a wide non stick skillet add a tbsp of oil and pan fry the bread pieces till crisp. Remove and set a side.
- In the same pan add rest of the oil, followed by 1/4 th tsp of mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp of Chana dal. Saute for few seconds.
- Add the green chilly, onion, and bell pepper. Add some salt and saute till onion turns soft.
- Now add the coriander powder and the red chilly powder. Add the chopped tomato. Mix it and cook for 30 seconds. Add the toasted bread pieces, tomato chily sauce, salt and some lemon juice.
- Keep mixing for another five minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Serve immediately.
- Tomato gives that little moisture you need. If not the bread would be very dry.
- At the same time it’s important not to over cook the tomato. If not the upma will become soggy.