A simple stir fry made with cabbage, chili powder and roasted chana dal. Goes well with rice and rasam.
Cabbage fry with Roasted Chana dal Powder:
- Shredded or thinly sliced Cabbage- 3 cups
- Ginger- 1/2 inch chopped fine
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder- 1/2tsp or to taste
- Roasted chana dal ( the dal we use to make regular chutney))- 4 tsps ( crush to fine powder in a mortar)
- Few curry leaves
- Oil- 3 tsps
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the mustard seeds and let crackle.
Add the chana dal, cumin seeds, curry leaves and ginger. Fry for few seconds.
Add the shredded cabbage , turmeric and salt. Mix it well.
Cover the skillet and cook on medium heat stirring every now and then till cabbage turns soft. You can splash with some water to avoid burning.
Once the cabbage is soft, add in the coriander powder and red chilly powder. Mix well. Make sure there is no moisture at this point.
Add the roasted chana dal powder and lemon juice. Cook for another five minutes. Do not close the lid, this is a dry sabji.
Serve with rice.