Last Updated on
Coconut Kajjikaya Recipe:
Ingredients:For the outer shell:
- Maida/ All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Fine Sooji / chiroti rava – 1/2 cup
- Ghee/ Clarified butter – 2 tbsps.
- Enough Water to make the dough
Mix the maida, fine sooji, ghee and enough water to make a dough similar to the chapathi dough. Cover it with a wet cloth and set a side for atleast 30 minutes.
For the Inner Layer ( Coconut Jaggery filling)
- Finely Grated Coconut- 2 cups
- Jaggery- 1 cup
- Cardamom pods- 4 crushed
- In a pan add the grated coconut and jaggery.
- Mix and cook in a low to medium heat till the jaggery completely dissolves.
- Keep stirring till the mixture thickens. Add in the cardamom powder and turn off the heat.
- Let cool for few minutes.
Putting the Kajjikaya together:
Take small portion of the dough and form a ball. Press slightly in the middle. With the help of a rolling pin make a thin puri. If its not a perfect circle, use a circle shape cookie cutter or a cup.
Take small amount of the jaggery coconut mixture and put it in the rooled dough. Close it to form a semi circle.
With the help of a fork press the edges, so it seals better. If the dough feels dry, put some water on one side of the circle and then close it. That should work.
Keep it covered with a wet cloth while you finish rolling the rest of the dough.
Heat oil in a vessel and deep fry the Kajjikaya about three at a time. Cook on medium heat to ensure even cooking.
Remove on to a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
Cool completely before storing!