Last Updated on
Congress kadlekai recipe– Congress Kadlekai is the Kannada name for masala peanuts. This quintessential snack from Karnataka, is famously found in condiment stores and iyengar bakeries.
This spicy snack is made by dry roasting the raw peanuts. The roasted peanuts are the added to seasoned spice mixture and tossed until well incorporated.
Congress kadlekai can be served with tea or coffee and as a crunchy and spicy topping on the chats.
The full video recipe of the congress kadlekai can be found in my you tube channel – Madhu’s Everyday Indian
Congress kadlekai is served with chirumuri ( a puffed rice chat which is mixed with onion, tomato, carrot, coriander leaves and chilly powder). It is also topped on different chats. You can also serve the congress kadlekai with tea or coffee.
You may wonder, why are masala peanuts named after one of the ruling parties of India?
There are quite few stories, that go back to 1960’s. One of the stories says that, following the split of the congress party they started calling peanuts as Congress Kadlekai. because we split the peanuts to make this spicy crunchy snack.
Even I bring a big back a big pack of congress kadlekai when I visit India.
As much as the store bought once tastes great, I prefer making these at home. It’s a very simple and quick recipe. They can be made in a jiffy, if yo already have roasted peanuts.
Few tips on making Congress Kadlekai-
Adding sugar in the recipe is completely optional. I generally don’t add it, but have tasted the congress kadlekai in Bangalore, which have little sugar in them.
Removing the skin is key to how the congress kadlekai tastes, but its OK to have little bit of skin left.
I like to finely chop the curry leaves, so you can actually taste and eat them. The amount of red chilly powder depends on how spicy the chilies are.
While making the tempering, make sure the heat is in low. If not the spices will burn.
Few other chat recipes from my blog–
If you are looking for steamed recipe, try Steamed Toor Dal Dumpling
Full detailed video recipe of congress kadlekai recipe – ( a short 1.42 minutes video on how to make congress kadlekai)
Congress kadalekai or Masala Peanuts recipe:
Congress Kadalekai or Masala Peanuts
- Raw peanuts - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tsps
- Curry leaves -2 strings
- Red chilly powder -1/2 tsp or to taste
- Crushed black pepper -1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Asafatedia hing- one pinch
- Sugar -1/4 tsp optional
- In a skillet add the raw peanuts. pan fry them in a low flame until light brown.Cool the roasted peanuts and remove the skin by rubbing your hands between the peanuts.
- Remove most of the skin, if not all. Little bit of skin on the peanuts is ok.
- Place a skillet in low flame. Heat the oil and the curry leaves. fry for 15 seconds.
- Add the red chilly powder, turmeric powder, crushed black pepper and asfatedia. Quickly give a stir and add the roasted peanuts. Make sure not to burn the spices.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.At this point you can add some sugar for taste. Adding sugar is optional .
- Serve the masala peanuts/ congress kadalekai with some tea or top it on chirumuri or any chat.