Cracked wheat vangi bath is a delicious recipe made with veggies and special masala powder. Simple, healthy dish which can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner.
Vangi bath is a popular dish from the State of Karnataka, where a special blend of masla powder is used to make the vangi bath. Generally it is made with egg plant (brinjal), but today i am using frozen mixed veggies and bell peppers.
I have replaced rice with cracked wheat. You can also use brown rice, quinoa or millets in this recipe.
Few more Karnataka recipes-
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below. For more recipes and to see what’s cooking in my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
- Cracked wheat- 1 cup
- Big Bell pepper ( any color is ok, I used orange)- 1
- Green beans, carrot, peas and corn- about 1 cup total
- Vangi bath powder- about 2 tsps (recipe follows)
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves to garnish.
Vangi bath masala powder:
- chana dal- 3 tsp
- urad dal- 3 tsp
- fenugreek (methi seeds)- about 4 seeds
- dry coconut- 3 tsps
- dry red chili- 5 to 6
- jeera (cumin)- 1 tsp
- coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- cloves- 2
- cardamom- 1
- cinammon stick- a small piece
Fry all the above ingredients in 1 tsp oil. Powder it and use 2 tsps of this mixture for the vangi bath.
- First cook the cracked wheat with 2 ¼ th cup of water in a rice cooker. After it is cooked, remove the lid and let it dry for few minutes.
- Meanwhile take a skillet, add 2 tbsps of oil. when the oil gets hot add 1 tsp of mustard seeds. Once the mustard pops, add a tsp of Chana dal and fry for few seconds. Then add the curry leaves, a
pinch of hing, all the veggies and half tsp of salt. . Sauté till the veggies get soft.
- Add the vangibath bath powder , mix and cook for a minute.Turn off the heat.
- Add the cooked cracked wheat to this mixture, necessary salt, lemon juice and fresh coriander leaves. Mix well. Its ready to be served.
Thanks for the recipe with the vangi bath masala powder recipe. what else is the vangi baat powder used in or is it only for this type of upma recipes?
healthy and delicious vangibath dear 🙂