cranberry pickle recipe– sweet and sour cranberry pickle made with cranberry,chilly powder, mustard and fenugreek seeds.Serve the cranberry pickle with toasted bread, dal or yogurt rice.
You can find the video of the cranberry pickle in my you tube channel – Madhu’s Everyday Indian. Please subscribe to my youtube channel for more videos.
Cranberry pickle with detailed instructions and video– Cranberries are very popular in the U.S and Canada during the Thanks giving time. Cranberry sauce is a traditional recipe, which is a part of the big thanksgiving meal. The other ways the people enjoy eating them are by making juice, jam and dried cranberries.
Cranberries are extremely sour in taste, but are packed with good nutritional values. They are low in calories and high in vitamin C, K and A. Cranberries prevent urinary track infection, reduces cardio vascular disease, and also benefit oral health.
Today i am sharing Indian style cranberry pickle recipe. Pickles are essential part of Indian cuisinie. Achar, uppinakay, urukay, vuragayai are some of the different names of pickles in India. I always look forward to making this pickle in the fall, when the cranberries are fresh and available in abundance in the super market.
Few tips before making the cranberry pickle-
- Cranberries are very sour in taste. So the amount of red chilly powder and sugar really depends on how sour your cranberries are.
- Please taste the pickle in between and add more spices accordingly.
- Using of Jaggery rather than sugar makes the pickle more tasty.
- Mustard and Fenugreek are very pungent and bitter. we need very little of the mustard and fenugreek powder in this recipe.
- You can also skip using the mustard and fenugreek powder for a milder tasting pickle.
- Store the pickle in the refrigerator, stays fresh for upto three weeks.
Some of the pickle recipes from my blog–
Cranberry Pickle (Indian Style)
- 3 cups cranberries( 340 gms)
- 2 teaspoons red chilly powder ( or to taste) ( I used a combination of spicy and Kashmiri chili powder)
- ½ tsp + ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons jaggery/ sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
Making the Masala –
- Dry roast ½ tsp mustard seeds and ⅛ tsp fenugreek seeds separately.
- Cool a bit and powder using a mortar. Set a side.
Making the cranberry pickle-
- Clean and wash the cranberries.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add ¼ tsp mustard seeds. Let the mustard pop.
- Once the mustard pops, add the washed cranberry and turmeric. Mix well and cook on low flame for few minutes.
- After 5 to 7 minutes, remove the lid and mash the berries from the back of the spoon.
- Add the red chili powder, salt and jaggery/sugar. mix well and cook for another ten minutes. Taste the pickle adjust the salt, sugar or chili powder.
- The amount of spice and sweetness you need varies by how sour the cranberries are.
- Add the mustard and fenugreek powder. Mix and cook for another five minutes.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
- Serve the cranberry pickle on a toast, as a side with rice and dal and yogurt rice.