Serve these as Kids afternoon snack with some strawberries and milk on the side. These snacks will keep the kids full till dinner time.
Not very often you find an Andhra girl making her rice mushy. It did happen yesterday and my rice turned out quite mushy than I could eat. After carefully taking out a layer of the top rice, I was left with some soft rice. Though i don’t prefer, I decided to throw it away. While i was debating to do that, i heard the hungry kids asking for something yummy. In a flash I decided to deep fry my rice just the same way I do the punugulu with the dosa batter. They turned out pretty good.
These are not just tasty but a very fast dish/snack to make provided you have some rice at home. Even brown rice works well with this recipe. Deep fried rice balls can also be called as rice bonda.
Please do check out my new youtube cooking channel where i share simple, healthy short videos- Madhu’s Everyday Indian. While you are there, do check my instant rava vada video.
In addition to the deep fried rice balls, please do checkout my other snack recipes-
instant rava vada video
Some non fried quick snack recipes–
rice bonda video –
- Cooked white rice- 1.5 cup mashed or coarsely grind
- Rice flour ( biyyapu pindi) – 3 to 4 tbsps
- Small onion- 1, finely chopped
- Ginger- 1 inch, grated
- Green chilly- 2 to 3 chopped fine or to taste
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves- 2 tsp finely chopped
- Oil for deep frying
- Coarsely grind the rice in a mixer or mash it well using a fork.
- Transfer the mashed rice to a bowl.
- Add the cumin seeds, ginger, onion, coriander leaves, rice flour and salt to taste.
- Mix all the above ingredients.T
- You may want to adjust the amount of rice flour depending on how soft the rice.
- If the mixture is too thick, sprinkle some water.
- Make small round balls of the dough.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Deep fry the balls, few at at a time in medium heat.
- Serve immediately with some chutney or ketchup/tomato sauce.
Deep fried rice balls / rice bonda with step by step pictures-
Transfer the mashed rice to a bowl.
You may want to adjust the amount of rice flour depending on how soft the rice.
If the mixture is too thick, sprinkle some water.
Heat oil for deep frying and gently add the balls.
Serve immediately with some chutney or ketchup/tomato sauce.