Recently my sister sent me the recipe for stuffed brinjal which she tried and said was pretty good. Stuffed brinjal needs more attention while cooking- we need to make sure the brinjal is cooked evenely, doesn’t get burned and the filling should be intact . Also stuffed brinjal gobbles up quite a bit of oil. Akka knows how I feel about the stuffed brinjal recipe, so she told me to stir fry the brinjal and add the masala at the end. That’s exactly what I did.
The recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes, Goes well with roti and rice.
Few more curries from the blog –
Few dry curry recipes –Bhindhi Masala Fry
Brinjal Masala | Vankaya Masala | Egg plant Dry Curry Recipe:
- Long Brinjal/ Vankaya/ Baingan/ Egg plant – 3 ( cut into bite size pieces)
- Dry red chilly – 5 or to taste
- Corainder seeds- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Roasted Chana dal ( Chutney pappu)- 1/4 th cup
- Dry/ fresh coconut – 2 tbsps
- Butter – 1 to 2 tsps
- Handful of coriander leaves ( don’t skip)
- Curry leaves – 10
- Msutard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 14th tsp
- Asafatedia- 2 pinches
- Oil – 3 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind paste to taste
- In a pan dry roast the dry red chilly, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal.
- When it cools, add the roasted ingredients and the roasted chana dal in a mixer and make a powder.
- In a big flat non stick skillet, heat oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle add the curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the chopped brinjal, turmeric, and quarter tea spoon of salt. Mix the ingredients, close the lid and cook on medium flame, stirring often till egg plant is almost done.
- If the eggplant is sticking to the pan, you can sprinkle some water while cooking, just a little.
- Now add the masala powder, tamarind paste and necessary salt. Mix gently. Continue cooking for few more minutes.
- Finally add the coconut, butter and freshly chopped coriander leaves. Check for seasoning. If you feel the curry is not spicy enough add some red chilly powder.
Serve this brinjal masala with rice and tomato rasam.
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating & comment below.