Last Updated on
Recently my sister sent me the recipe for stuffed brinjal which she tried and said was pretty good. Stuffed brinjal needs more attention while cooking- we need to make sure the brinjal is cooked evenely, doesn’t get burned and the filling should be intact . Also stuffed brinjal gobbles up quite a bit of oil. Akka knows how I feel about the stuffed brinjal recipe, so she told me to stir fry the brinjal and add the masala at the end. That’s exactly what I did.
The recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes, Goes well with roti and rice.
Few more curries from the blog –
Brinjal Masala | Vankaya Masala | Egg plant Dry Curry Recipe:
- Long Brinjal/ Vankaya/ Baingan/ Egg plant – 3 ( cut into bite size pieces)
- Dry red chilly – 5 or to taste
- Corainder seeds- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Roasted Chana dal ( Chutney pappu)- 1/4 th cup
- Dry/ fresh coconut – 2 tbsps
- Butter – 1 to 2 tsps
- Handful of coriander leaves ( don’t skip)
- Curry leaves – 10
- Msutard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 14th tsp
- Asafatedia- 2 pinches
- Oil as needed
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind paste to taste
- In a pan dry roast the dry red chilly’s, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal.
- When it cools, add the roasted ingredients and the roasted chanan dal in a mixer and make a powder.
- In a big flat non stick skillet heat oil and add the mustrd seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle add the curry leaves and asafatedia. For for few seconds.
- Add the chopped brnjal, turmeric, and some salt. Sprinkle some water, mix well and close the lid. Cook on medium flame till almost done.
- Add in the masala powder, tamarind paste and necessary salt. Mix gently.Continue cookinf for few more minutes.
- Finally add the coconut, butter and freshly chopped coriander leaves. Check for seasoning. If you feel the curry is not spicy enough add some red chilly powder.
Serve this brinjal masala with rice and tomato rasam.