Last Updated on
This simple and easy modak recipe is made with roasted nuts and soft dates. Takes just about fifteen minutes to make and is a perfect treat to share among friends and family during Ganesha Chaturthi.
Modak is a very popular neivedyam recipe for lord Ganesha during Ganesha Chaturthi. There are different ways one can make a modak. Today i have used dry fruits and dates to make the modak. I have used moulds to shape the modak.
There is no added sugar in the modak. The sweetness comes from the dates. Make sure the dates you are using are soft. If the dates are hard, you can put the dates in hot water for few minutes to soften.
Dry fruit modak is a great snack recipe. The dates and nut mixture can be formed into a laddu/ball and can be given to kids everyday. It is a good source of protein for the growing kids.
Which Nuts to use to make dry fruit modak?
I used a combination of almond, cashew and pistachio. You can also add walnuts if you prefer.
What if my dates are hard?
If the dates are not soft, soak the dates in hot water for 15 to 30 minutes. Drain the water and use the dates in the recipe.
Do we need to roast the nuts?
You don’t have to roast the nuts, but pan frying the nuts with a teaspoon of ghee definitely enhances the flavor of the nuts.
If you are looking for more ganesha chaturthi neivedyam recipes then please do check:
How to make dry fruits modak ? (step by step pictures)
1) In a pan add a teaspoon of ghee, almonds, cashew and the pistachio.
2) Pan fry the nuts in ghee for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
3) While the nuts cool, chop the dates for easy grinding.
4) Add the cooled nuts in to a mixer and pulse 3 to 4 times till the nuts are broken to small pieces. Do not make powder.
5) Now add the dates and pulse again to make a coarse texture.
6) Add a heaping table spoon of ghee.
7) Start pulsing till the entire mixture comes together like a dough.
8) Take a small portion of the mixture and try forming a ball, if the mixture holds together it is the right consistency. But if the mixture is crumbly and falling apart add more ghee.
9) If using a modak mould, stuff the mould on both sides. Tightly close the mould and smooth the sides and the bottom. Open the mold carefully. Gently remove the dry fruit modak and repeat with the rest of the dough. This particular recipe should give you about 7 to 8 modaks.
Dry Fruit Modak Recipe
Dry Fruits & Dates Modak
- 1/3 cup Almonds
- 1/3 cup Cashew
- 1/4 cup Pistachio
- 15 Soft Dates, add more if you prefer more sweet
- 2 tbsps Ghee
- In a Pan add a teaspoon of ghee, almonds, cashew and pistachio. 2. Pan fry the nuts for three to four minutes. Remove and let cool.3. While the nuts are cooling chop the dates. I used dates which are super soft.4. If the dates you are using are little hard, soak them in hot for few minutes. 5. In a mixer add the roasted nuts and pulse three to four times till the nuts are broken. do not make powder.6. Add the dates and pulse few more times.7. Now add the ghee and pulse again till the mixture comes together. 8. You should be able to form a laddu with the mixture. If you cannot, add little more ghee to the mixture. 9. Make modaks using a mould or by hand. 10. Serve the dry fruits modak as neivedyam to lord Ganesha.