Kalakand– this kalakand recipe made with ricotta cheese is the easy version of the traditional kalakand, a milk based Indian fudge.
It’s crumbly, moist and just melts in your mouth. A must try recipe for any festive season.
What is Kalakand?
Kalakand, a traditional Indian sweet made by curdling the milk and then cooking with sugar for long time till it solidifies and is flavored with nuts and cardamom.
It is a very delicate, melt in the mouth kind of sweet which needs time and patience to make.
Most of the Indian sweets are milk based, they are very tasty but can be time consuming to make. Today I have taken the short cut and used ricotta cheese to make kalakand. The taste and flavor of kalkand made with ricotta cheese is very close to the original one.
For this Diwali, do try this quick and easy kalkand recipe and share with friends and family.
This Instant Ricotta Cheese Kalakand is
- soft, moist and just melts in your mouth
- it’s not overly sweet
- just need two main ingredients
- easy to make and ready in under 20 minutes
- can be made in microwave and stove top.
What are the ingredients needed to make this easy kalakand?
This quick version uses
- ricotta cheese
- condensed milk
- cardamom and
In addition to the above ingredients I have also used some milk powder in the recipe. Kalakand is a very delicate sweet which can fall apart easily. To hold better I add some milk powder. Milk powder binds the ricotta and condensed milk better which helps in cutting the perfect shaped pieces. Adding milk powder is totally optional, it doesn’t change the kalakand taste.
Few recipes which use condensed milk-
How to make Instant Kalakand recipe ( step by step pics)
1)In a pan add the ricotta cheese and condensed milk. If using milk powder add that as well and the sugar.
2) Mix all the ingredients making sure there are no lumps. Now turn on the stove.
3) Cook in low-medium flame mixing frequently. Its very important to continuously stir to avoid burnt bottom.
4) Initially the mixture will become soft and watery. Continue cooking, stirring often. You may want to adjust the burner if the mixture is spilling out.
5) It takes around 15 -20 minutes for the mixture to thicken, depending on the temperature you cooked or the moisture content in the ricotta cheese.
6)Add ghee and cook for two minutes
7) Finally add cardamom powder, give a mix and turn off the heat.
8) Grease a plate with ghee or use a parchment paper and pour the mixture and spread it evenly.
9) Sprinkle chopped pistachio and press slightly with the hand or back of a small cup.
10) Cool for ten minutes and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 2 to 3 hours.
11) Remove from the fridge, and cut the kalakand to squares. You may want to wipe the knife in between to get clean pieces of kalakand.
12) Stays fresh for two days on the counter top or for a week in the refrigerator.
Can I make this kalakand in microwave
Yes, you can make it in microwave. Add all the ingredients in a deep microwave safe bowl. Mix and cook in the microwave removing every 2 minutes till you get a grainy texture. Check the recipe card for more detailed explanation.
WHAT KIND OF RICOTTA CHEESE TO USE?
You can use whole milk or part skimmed ricotta. Though I recommend using whole milk ricotta for a rich tasting kalakand.
WHAT CAN I REPLACE RICOTTA CHEESE WITH?
The main ingredient in the recipe is ricotta cheese, but if its not available use paneer instead. Preferably fresh paneer, not the frozen kind.
Easy Kalakand Recipe-
Kalakand with Ricotta Cheese
- 1 small tub, ricotta cheese 425 grams
- Sweetened condensed milk, 1 can (400 gms)
- ⅓ cup milk powder optional
- 1 tbsp sugar ( use the sugar only if you are adding milk powder) optional
- 3 cardamon pods finely crushed
- few chopped pistachios for garnish
Making on the stove top-
- In a pan add the ricotta cheese and the condensed milk. If using milk powder add that and also add the sugar. (please note that adding milk powder and sugar are optional)
- Mix it well and turn on the stove. A non stick pan works great for this recipe.
- Cook in low-medium flame mixing frequently. Its very important to continuously stir to avoid burnt bottom.
- Initially you will observe that the mixture becomes more watery, but after cooking for few minutes it will slowly start to thicken.
- Keep mixing and cook till most of the moisture evaporates and the whole mixture looks like soft crumbles.
- It takes around 15 -20 minutes to get the right consistency. again the cooking time may vary depending on the temperature you cooked or the moisture content in the ricotta cheese.
- Add a table spoon of ghee and cook for two minutes.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix and turn off the heat.
- Greas a tray with ghee or place a parchment paper.
- Pour the kalakand in to the tray and flatten it gently with a spatula.
- Sprinkle crushed pistachio and cool slightly and then place the tray in the refrigerator to set.
- Cut into squares and serve. Stays fresh for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Making in the microwave –
- In a large and deep microwaveable safe bowl add the ricotta cheese and condensed milk. Give it a mix. If you are planning to add milk powder, add that as well and the sugar. Give a mix. Adding milk powder and sugar is totally optional. Add sugar only when adding milk powder.
- Microwave for four to five minutes, making sure the the mixture doesn't boil over. At this point the bowl will be very hot, remove carefully.
- Mix well and microwave again for 3 minutes. Remove and mix.
- Now place a microwaveable safe plate on the bowl, criss cross way to allow heat to escape. Microwave again for 4 to 5 minutes, removing every two minutes.
- If you have not used the milk powder, the kalakand will take more time to cook.
- When the kalakand is done, the mixture should have a granular texture and little thick.
- Add the cardamom powder and ghee and mix well.
- Transfer the kalakand to a greased plate and garnish with chopped pistachio.
- Cool slightly and pop it in the refrigerator to set.
- Cut to desired shape and serve.