Not sure how many of you know Bal Arneson, she is the host of the cooking show Spice Goddess which comes in Cooking channel. Right now residing in Canada, originally from Punjab she makes some amazing recipes which is a collaboration of both east and west. Myself and hubby enjoy watching her show. What makes her recipes attract us are the combination of spices and ingredients she uses to make a healthy meal.
Today’s recipe Egg curry is one such which is cooked in Besan/ chick peas flour and yogurt. I took the main idea and made few changes to the recipe which suits our palettes. interested read on- tandoori masala, ginger, onion, mint combined with besan and yogurt are cooked together and boiled and toasted eggs are simmered in this gravy. The tangy ness f the yogurt combined with all the spices works beautifully in this recipe. Do try it you will not be disappointed.
- Eggs- 4
- Medium onion- 1 thinly sliced
- Medium green bell pepper – 1 thinly sliced ( I just can’t do with out bell pepper, love to add them in all my recipes)
- Large tomato- 1 chopped
- Ginger-1 inch finely chopped
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Fennel powder- ¼ th tsp (optional)
- Tandoori masala- 1 tsp or as per taste ( recipe follows)
- Yogurt/ curd-1 cup
- Chick peas flour/ besan – 2 tsps
- Water for the gravy
- Tiny bit of mint leaves and few Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Red chilly powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder- ¼ th tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
Mix all the ingredients and add a tsp of the mixture for the curry.
Left over masala can be used for any dry or wet curry’s.
- Place the eggs in a pot and add enough water for them to be completely immersed. Bring it a boil and cook the eggs for 10 to 15 fifteen minutes till they are done. Let cook for a bit and remove the shells. Halve the eggs. A this point you can remove or keep the yolk as desired. I generally remove because no body eats in our house, even my kids.
- Take a non stick pan add a tsp f oil and slightly roast the eggs for 30 seconds. This step is completely optional. We like it when the egg has a crunch to it.
- In a skillet add the oil.when it gets hot add the sliced onions and green bell pepper and fry for five minutes till they get soft. Now add all the spices- tandoori masala, turmeric powder, fennel powder and chopped ginger. Fry for 30 seconds. Add the chopped tomato and salt. Cook till tomato gets soft.add some water and bring it to a boil.
- While the tomato is cooking, take a bowl add the besan and yogurt. Whip it up making sure there are no lumps in it.
- Add this mixture to the tomato base. Mix reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes. When the besan is completely cooked add the egg, chopped mint and coriander leaves. Simmer for another five minutes. Turn off the heat.
Serve the egg curry with chapathi or rice.