Last Updated on
Eggless vanilla sponge cake recipe – a basic vanilla cake which is soft and moist. Egg is replaced by yogurt and oil, which works so well in this recipe
A perfect cake to enjoy for any one with egg allergies or food restrictions.
Just basic pantry ingredients go into making this moist cake. You can serve the cake as is, or dress it up with your favorite frosting or dust it with powdered sugar.
I have video of this eggless cake in my you tube channel. Do check it out.
In baking eggs provide structure, leavening, thickness,color and over all flavor to the baked good.
There are few good substitutes for egg – such as vinegar, flax seeds, banana and yogurt. In today’s recipe we yogurt as a substitute for egg.
how does yogurt make the eggless vanilla sponge cake moist?
Plain yogurt (curd), at room temperature is combined with baking powder and baking soda and is set a side for five minutes. After five minutes you see bubbles which are formed by a chemical reaction of yogurt combining with baking powder and baking soda. The baking powder helps to make the cake light and fluffy, where as the baking soda allows your cake to rise.
Few tips in making the best vanilla cake
While baking, it is important to measure the ingredients precisely and use the exact amount the recipe calls for.
Unless mentioned, make sure the ingredients are at room temperature.
How can I make my cake soft and moist?
The yogurt, baking soda and baking powder in the recipe will help in baking soft, moist cake. Just measure the ingredients precisely and make sure the yogurt is at room temperature.
How do I make cake in gas?
You can make the cake in gas or stove top. Follow my instructions in the recipe card for clear details.
What kind of yogurt to use in a cake?
Plain home made yogurt works which is not sour works best. If using store bought use yogurt which is not flavored.
Full fat yogurt works best in this recipe.
to make the eggless chocolate cake recipe-
to make the eggless chocolate cake recipe, replace 1/2 cup of the all purpose flour with coco powder and increase the amount of sugar to 1 cup.
If you are planning to serve these for kids birthday party, please do take a look at some of my other recipes with can be served as main course and snack-
Eggless vanilla sponge cake video-
Step by step pictures of the eggless vanilla sponge cake recipe-
2) Beat the yogurt by removing any lumps. Add the sugar and whisk till the sugar dissolves completely.
4) Set a side for five minutes. Do keep a timer. Don’t let the mixture sit for more than five minutes. You will see small bubbles on the surface of the mixture.
5) Add the vanilla extract and oil, mix well.
Eggless Vanilla Cake
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4th cup Sugar
use 1 cup for a sweeter cake
- 1 cup plain thick yogurt
( not sour, at room temperature )
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Baking powder- 1 1/4 th tsp
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract- – 1 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 1 tbsp to brush the cake
Cooking the vanilla cake in the oven-
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Grease an 8 or a 9″ round cake pan with oil and set a side. Sieve the flour and set a side.
- In a large bowl add the yogurt and beat the yogurt with a whisk, removing any lumps.
- Add the sugar and whisk till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Set a side for five minutes. Do keep a timer. Don’t let the mixture sit for more than five minutes. You will see small bubbles on the surface of the mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and oil, mix well.
- Add the sieved flour in three batches and gently fold the mixture until no lumps are seen.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Brush the top of the cake with milk, 10 minutes before the ending time to get a shiny glaze.
- Be cautious while doing this, the oven will be extremely hot. Would recommend using oven gloves.This step is completely optional , but will give a shinny gloss to the cake.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes and on the counter top for 15 minutes before serving.
MAKING THE EGGLESS VANILLA SPONGE CAKE IN PRESSURE COOKER–
- Please use a aluminium pressure cooker for this recipe. Remove the cooker ring from the lid.We are also not going to use the whistle.
- Add a cup of sand or sea salt in the pressure cooker. Place a small stand in the bottom of the cooker, we are going to the place the cake pan on it.
- Mix the batter as mentioned above and place the cake pan in the pressure cooker and cook on high for five minutes, reduce the heat to low and cook the cake for 30-40 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, open the lid and coat the cake top with some milk. This step is totally optional.
- Also check to see if the cake is done. Close the lid and cook for another 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, check again to see if the tooth pick inserted into the cake,comes out clean. If not cook for another five to ten minute maximum. But not more than 50 minutes in total.
- Cool the cake completely before serving.