Best Eggless Vanilla Cake recipe which is soft and moist. Simple pantry ingredients go into making this egg free cake, which is perfect for any kind of celebrations.
Just basic pantry ingredients like flour, sugar, milk, oil and yogurt go into making this moist cake. You can serve the cake as is or dress it up with your favorite frosting or dust it with powdered sugar.
I have video of this eggless cake in my you tube channel. Do check it out.
In baking eggs provide structure, leavening, thickness, color and over all flavor to the baked good.
There are few good substitutes for egg – such as vinegar, flax seeds, banana and yogurt. In today’s recipe we use yogurt as a substitute for egg.
How does yogurt make the cake moist?
Plain yogurt (curd), at room temperature is combined with baking powder and baking soda and is set a side for five minutes. After five minutes you see bubbles which are formed by a chemical reaction of yogurt combining with baking powder and baking soda. The baking powder helps to make the cake light and fluffy, where as the baking soda allows your cake to rise.
Few tips in making the best vanilla cake
- While baking, it is important to measure the ingredients precisely and use the exact amount the recipe calls for.
- Unless mentioned, make sure the ingredients are at room temperature.
Step by Step Instructions:
1) Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C. Grease an 8 or a 9″ round cake pan with oil and set a side. Sieve the flour and set a side.
2) Beat the yogurt by removing any lumps. Add the sugar and whisk till the sugar dissolves completely.
3) Add the baking powder and baking soda to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
4) Set a side for five minutes. Do keep a timer. Don’t let the mixture sit for more than five minutes. You will see small bubbles on the surface of the mixture.
5) Add vanilla extract and oil, mix well.
6) Add the sieved flour in three batches and gently fold the mixture until no lumps are seen.
7) Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
8) Brush the top of the cake with milk, 10 minutes before the ending time to get a shiny glaze. Be cautious while doing this, the oven will be extremely hot. Would recommend using oven gloves.
9) This step is completely optional , but will give a shinny gloss to the cake. Cool completely before serving.
10) Cool the cake completely before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The yogurt, baking soda and baking powder in the recipe will help in baking soft, moist cake. Just measure the ingredients precisely and make sure the yogurt is at room temperature.
You can make the cake in gas or stove top. Follow my instructions in the recipe card for clear details.
Plain home made yogurt works which is not sour works best. If using store bought use yogurt which is not flavored. Full fat yogurt works best in this recipe.
TO MAKE EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE-
Replace ½ cup of the all purpose flour with coco powder and increase the amount of sugar to 1 cup.
Eggless vanilla sponge cake video-
Eggless Vanilla Cake
- 1 ½ cups 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup Sugar (use 1 cup sugar for a sweeter cake)
- 1 cup plain thick yogurt ( not sour, at room temperature )
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Milk (to brush the cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Grease an 8 or a 9″ round cake pan with oil and set a side. Sieve the flour and set a side.
- In a large bowl add the yogurt and beat the yogurt with a whisk, removing any lumps.
- Add sugar and whisk till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Set a side for five minutes. Do keep a timer. Don’t let the mixture sit for more than five minutes. You will see small bubbles on the surface of the mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and oil, mix well.
- Add the sieved flour in three batches and gently fold the mixture until no lumps are seen.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Brush the top of the cake with milk, 10 minutes before the ending time to get a shiny glaze.
- Be cautious while doing this, the oven will be extremely hot. Would recommend using oven gloves.This step is completely optional , but will give a shinny gloss to the cake.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes and on the counter top for 15 minutes before serving.
TO MAKE EGGLESS VANILLA SPONGE CAKE IN PRESSURE COOKER
- Please use a aluminum pressure cooker for this recipe. Remove the cooker ring from the lid. We are also not going to use the whistle.
- Add a cup of sand or sea salt in the pressure cooker. Place a small stand in the bottom of the cooker, we are going to the place the cake pan on it.
- Mix the batter as mentioned above and place the cake pan in the pressure cooker and cook on high for five minutes, reduce the heat to low and cook the cake for 30-40 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, open the lid and coat the cake top with some milk. This step is totally optional.
- Also check to see if the cake is done. Close the lid and cook for another 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, check again to see if the tooth pick inserted into the cake,comes out clean. If not cook for another five to ten minute maximum. But not more than 50 minutes in total.
- Cool the cake completely before serving.