Today’s recipe which I will be sharing is fried rice using brown rice. It’s a super fast recipe and a one pot meal which can be put together in 30 minutes or less.Love that fact. It is very versatile and could be made with a wide selection of vegetables. Today I just used what ever I had in my fridge ( beans, peas, corn, bell pepper, mushroom and broccoli). If you have tofu please do use it for the extra protein.Even baby corn would be a nice addition in this fried rice.
An excellent way to use up some left over rice as well. This is a really filling dish which does not require any accompaniment.
- Cooked Brown rice- about 3 cups
- Few broccoli florets
- About 12 button mushrooms sliced
- Small Green and orange bell pepper -1 each sliced thin
- Green peas – ¼ th cup
- Corn- ¼th cup
- Few green beans cut to one inch pieces
- green chilly- 2 chopped fine (optional)
- Small onion or ( 2 shallots)- sliced thin
- A generous pinch of red chilly flakes
- Ginger -½ inch chopped fine
- Garlic pods-2 chopped fine
- Soy sauce- 2 to 3 tbsp
- Tomato chili sauce- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste and
- Lemon juice to taste
- Spring onion for garnish
Cooking brown rice –
- Each brand of brown rice seems to require different amount of water. The first time you are using brown rice put 2 ½ cups of water and see how the consistency comes out. If its too dry after its cooked, you can add little more water to it. If the rice is still wet or has water underneath, then add less water.
- I used Kohinoor basmati rice which took about 2 ½ cups of water for 1 cup of rice. Soak the brown rice in water for fifteen minutes prior to cooking it. I prefer making brown rice in a rice cooker.
- Cool the brown rice completely before using it for the fried rice.
- In a large wok or a skillet heat the vegetable oil. When the oil gets hot add the onion (or shallots) , green chilly, ginger and garlic. Stir well and cook until the onion have softened.
- Add the frozen peas, corn and beans. Cook for two minutes. Now add the broccoli, mushroom and bell pepper. Cook stirring continuously for another 3 minutes. Now add the red chilly flakes and some salt. Not too much salt. ( soy sauce has some salt in it).
- Add the rice. Mix well for a minute. Stir in the soy sauce and tomato chili sauce. Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice and spring onion. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately garnished with some coriander leaves.