Fruit Chaat – Indian style fruit salad made with assorted fruits, chaat masala, mint and lemon juice. Refreshing chaat which is sweet and tangy with a hint of spice.
What is Chaat?
Chaat or Chat ( means to lick) is a savory snack from India. They can be made with fresh or cooked veggies, puffed rice, puri, bhel mix or fruits.
Fresh fruits combined with spices is called fruit chaat and is a popular street food from India.
A bowl of assorted fruits with chaat masala is just the thing you need after enjoying lip smacking chaats.
Fruit Chaat can also be enjoyed as snack on a hot sunny day or as a dessert after a heavy meal.
Which fruits to use?
I used grapes, apple, pear, banana, orange, blueberry and pomegranate. But feel free to substitute the fruits you like. Try to add a combination of sweet and sour fruits.
The Flavoring which go into this Fruit Chaat are
Chaat Masala – spicy, sour and salty spice blend which can be purchased from Indian store.
Kala Namak – also refereed as Kala Namak
Step by Step Method
Cut the apple, orange and pear to bite size pieces. Cut each grapes into half and make round circles of banana.
In a large bowl add grapes, banana, apple, pear, blueberry, orange and pomegranate.
Add cumin powder, black salt, chaat masala, lemon juice and mint.
Gently mix all the ingredients and refrigerate for an hour.
After an hour, gently mix the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
If you are planning to make it ahead of time, do not add banana.
More Chaat Recipes –
Fruit Chaat ( Indian Fruit Salad)
- 1 medium apple
- 1 medium pear
- 1 banana optional
- 15 large green grapes
- 1 orange
- ½ cup pomegranate
- 1 cup blueberry
- 12 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder or to taste
- ½ teaspoon kala namak (black salt) to taste
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala or to taste
- black pepper or red chili powder to taste (optional)
- 1- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Cut the apple, orange and pear to bite size pieces. Cut each grapes into half and make round circles of banana.
- In a large bowl add grapes, banana, apple, pear, blueberry, orange and pomegranate.
- Add cumin powder, black salt, chaat masala, lemon juice and mint. You can also add some black pepper or red chili powder to taste.
- Gently mix all the ingredients and refrigerate for an hour.
- After an hour, gently mix the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- If you are planning to keep it longer, do not add banana.