Last Updated on
Mango rice, a tangy south Indian rice dish made with unripe green mangoes.
Green Mango rice is a very traditional rice recipe from South India. It’s mostly made when the green mangoes are in season which is during the spring and summer time.
How to make Indian style mango rice?
To make the mango rice, we sauté the grated mango in a tempering of mustard seeds, green chilly, turmeric, asafotedia and nuts.
This mixture is added to the cooked rice. Make sure the grains are separate. Mushy rice will not work in this recipe.
White rice tastes best in this recipe, but you can use brown rice and quinoa as well. I have made it number of times, it tastes pretty good with brown rice and quinoa.
You can also add some green peas to the recipe.
If the Mango is not sour enough, add some lemon juice as well.
If you are looking for more rice recipes, do check my-
More mango recipes from the blog, here
Mango Rice | Mango Pulihora
- 3 cups of rice
- 1 cup grated Green Mango ( you may need little less or more, depending upon how sour the mango is)
- 2 to 3 green chili, slit
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp cashew
- a sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 dry red chili, optional
- 2 pinches of asafoetida
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- In a pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard pops, add the chana dal, urad dal and dry red chili. Fry for few seconds.
- Now add the peanuts and fry for a minute.
- Add the cashew, green chili, curry leaves, turmeric powder and Asafoetida. Toss them for few seconds.
- Add the grated mango and saute for just a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cooked rice, salt and chopped coriander. Mix gently till the rice is well incorporated in the mango tempering mixture. Check for seasoning and serve.