- Green Pumpkin – 1 cup
- Orange Pumpkin – 1 cup
- Green chilly – 3 or as desired
- Fresh/ dry coconut- 1/4 th cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 th tsp
- Asafatedia- a generous pinch
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsps.
- Curry leaves – 8
- Finely chopped coriander eaves- 2 tbsps. (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When mustard starts dancing around, add the hing, curry leaves, cubed pumpkin and some salt. Mix well and close the lid. Cook on a low flame, stirring every now and then till the pumpkin becomes soft but still holding its shape. You can sprinkle some water during the cooking process.
Turn off the heat. And the lemon juice and check for the seasoning. Serve the pumpkin thoran with rice.