Last Updated on
gujarati dal recipe with detailed instructions and video-Gujarati dal is a sweet, spicy and tangy dal made with tuvar dal. No gujarati meal is complete with out this dal. Its a comforting dal, served with plain rice or roti.
Dal is a staple food in India. They are excellent source of protein. Each region has its own version of preparing dal. Today i am sharing the recipe of gujarati dal, popular for its khatti-meethi flavors. Compared to the other dal from India, gujarati dal is thin in consistency and sweeter in taste. Gujarati dishes are popular for the sweet flavor in their food. This dal falls in the same category. Jaggery gives the sweetness for the Gujarati dal, which compliments well with the ginger chilly, cloves and cinnamon in the recipe.
Dal can be easily made in pressure cooker. If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can directly cook in a pot, but it might take some time. You can make the process little faster, by soaking the dal in water for 30 minutes.
The gujarati dal is a staple at home and i make it quite often. The tuvar dal is thoroughly washed and cooked in the pressure cooker. The cooked dal is mashed completely, add the chopped tomato, ginger, green chilly and jaggery. Once you boil the dal for ten minutes, add the tempering of mustard seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves. This particular tempering is very different from the dal tempering recipes, which i think makes the dish so unique and tasty.
the gujartai dal is slighlt thin in consistency, you can also serve the dal as a soup.
if you are looking for more dal recipes, please do take a look at my other dal recipes-
gujarati dal recipe with video-
gujarati dal recipe with detailed instruction and print options-
GUJARATI DAL RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE GUJARATI DAL WITH VIDEO
- tuvar dal/toor dal- ¾ cup
- medium tomato- 2, chopped
- ginger- ½ inch grated
- green chilly- 2, slit
- turmeric powder- ½ tsp ( ½ spoon to cook dal & ¼ tsp for tempering)
- red chilly powder- ½ -3/4 spoon or to taste
- coriander powder- ½ tsp
- jaggery- 1 to 1.5 tsp
- water – 4 to 4.5 cups total, add more for a thinner dal
Lemon juice to taste Salt to taste
few freshly chopped coriander leaves
- oil- 2 tsps
- mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- bay leaf-2
- cinnamon sticks-1 ( broken into two pieces)
- cloves -3
- curry leaves – few
- hing (asafatedia)- small pinch
Cooking the dal-
- Wash the tuvar dal few times until the water runs clear.and pressure cook the dal with quater spoon of turmeric and 2.5 cups of water.
- Cook for 4 whistles and wait for the steam to release.
- Using a hand blender or a whisk, mash the dal completely.
Making the Gujarati dal-
- Turn on the stove again, add the chopped tomato, green chilly, ginger,red chilly powder, coriander powder, jaggery and salt. Mix well.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the dal for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the oil in a small pan and place over low heat.add the mustard seeds, once the mustard splutters add the cumin seeds and let slightly brown.
- add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, red chilly, turmeric powder and hing.
- quickly give a mix, make sure the spices don't burn.
- add the tempering to the dal and stir to combine.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Finally add some lemon juice and fresh coriander leaves.Serve the dal with rice.