Last Updated on
Healthy black bean salad recipe – easy and healthy black bean salad made withblack beans, veggies,jalapeño and cumin. Serve it as a salad, side or as a dip with tortilla chips.
Black bean salad is one of my favorite salad recipes I make any time of the year.Though quite popular during summer months, it can be made year around. The combinations are endless, you can mix and match depending on what is in the season. During summer you can add some fresh grilled corn, or add some cherry tomato or avocado. I have tried many combinations and each of them tastes equally good.
In today’s recipe I am using black beans, yellow and red bell pepper, onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Its a vegan recipe loaded with flavors of south-western cuisine.
If you have the cooked beans at home, this salad can be made in 10 minutes. You can use canned beans, just rinse thoroughly and drain them before use.
I prefer using the home cooked black beans. I generally make a big batch and freeze them and use whenever need.
Thanksgiving is around the corner, this black bean salad can be a great side dish for your menu. Have you tried my other thanksgiving sides like mashed potato and oven roasted brussel sprouts? They are just too good to miss.
How to cook black beans at home?
Wash the dry black beans with water thoroughly. Wash it at least twice to get rid of any dirt. In a deep bowl, add the washed black beans and enough water to cover the beans. Soak it over night or at least six hours.
Drain the water add fresh water and cook on the stove top. Add some salt and cook stirring occasionally until the beans are fork tender but not mushy.
Drain the excess liquid and use as needed.
You can also freeze the cooked black beans. Layer the cooled beans in a large zip lock bag. Spread the beans and freeze them flat. When we freeze in the flat position, the beans dont stick together and its easy to take as needed.
To use the frozen beans, remove them and let stay in the counter top for few minutes.
If you are in hurry, just soak the beans in water for five minutes. The beans will be ready to be used.
few more salad recipes from my blog –
Healthy black bean salad recipe-
- 2 cups of black beans
- small red or white onion, finely diced
- half cup bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- one jalapeño finally minced ( i used the jalapeno in vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- half of lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt to taste
- If using the canned black beans, rinse and drain them.
- Prep all the veggies and diced the jalapeño. You can remove the seeds, to make it less spicy. for less spies remove the seeds
- In a large bowl combine the beans, onion, bell pepper cilantro, jalapeño, cumin powder and salt.
- Add the olive oil and fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Toss gently to evenly coat all the ingredients.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- You can also make the salad in advance. Store the salad in the refrigerator till you’re ready to serve.
- Serve the black bean salad as is or with chips or as a site with the main meal.
Few other recipes, you may like