Last Updated on
Gulab jamun is one of the simplest, finest and most authentic recipe from Bharath. Milk powder/Mava and maida/all purpose flour is formed to a dough and deep fried. These fried balls are soaked in a simple syrup infused with cardamom. Cardamom takes all our desserts to another level. Its definitely the king of spices when it comes to desserts. These fried balls soak up all that sugar syrup and become spongy and soft which just melts in your mouth.
Now a days we find the ready made mix at the stores, making it that much easy to whip up this dessert. Today I took the short cut and used the store bought pack I already had at home. But I am going to give you the recipe which I have used earlier which comes out pretty good. Today I stuffed some of the jamun’s with some candy ( you can use either chocolate chips, M & M’s, chocolate) Or you can use some chopped nuts as well. I also made few heart shaped jamun’s apt for Valentines day which is around the corner. For garnish, added some slivered almonds right before serving.
Sending this to Vardhini for Sweet Luv 2013 event.
(Makes about 15 Jamun’s)
To make the dough:
- Milk powder- 3/4 th cup
- All purpose flour/Maida -2 tbsps
- Baking soda- 1/4th tsp
- Milk- 2 tbsps
- Ghee/ Clarified butter-1 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying the jamun’s
Store bought instant gulab jamun mix 100 gms pk- 1
For the sugar syrup:
- Sugar- 2 cups
- Water- 2 1/4th cup
- Few cardamom pods
- Few saffron strands ( optional)
And few slivered almonds for garnish
- Make a simple syrup by adding the water and sugar. Let the sugar melt completely. Now add the cardamom and saffron (optional) and simmer for five more minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and slowly incorporate the milk little at a time to make a dough. Make sure there are no lumps in the dough. Divide the dough to 15 equal parts. Apply some ghee to your palms and make 15 round ball.
- For the stuffed Gulab jamun– take one of the dough balls flatten it like you see in the picture put tabout 3 mini chocolate chips or M & M’s and bring them together and make a round ball again. Make sure the stuffing does not come out.
- For the heart shaped Gulab jamun– take some dough flatten it with your palms. To get he heart haped you can either use a cookie cutter or a butter knife. I just used the butter knife to make the heart shapes.
- Now take oil for deep frying. Keep it on low- medium heat and drop the balls about four at a time. Slowly fry them, by moving them around so they are cooked evenly on all sides. It’s very important to keep the temperature to low and cook them slowly. If not the the jamun’s will brown on the outside and still uncooked inside.
- Remove the fried balls in a paper towel and continuing frying the rest.
- Add the fried balls to the sugar syrup. make sure they are completely immersed in the syrup. Let sit for at least an hour before serving.
- Right before serving, you can add some silvered almonds for some crunch.
- It’s very important to keep the temp low while frying. If not the fried balls will not be cooked inside.
- Donot boil the sugar syrup too much, if that happens the sugar syrup tends to crystallize.
- If you prefer your jamun’s with just enough softness, add little less sugar syrup.
- After you fry the balls, let them rest for at least five minutes before putting them in the sugar syrup.