Delicious breakfast recipes from different parts of India. From steamed Idlis and dhoklas to crispy dosas, parathas and poha you will enjoy all the varieties of breakfast dishes.
All these breakfast recipes are either vegetarian or vegan.
Indian cuisine is as diverse as its culture. The combinations of flavors, textures, and spices work so well in each recipe.
Breakfast in India vary depending on the region. In South India where its typically hot we see lot of steamed and spicy dishes. While in North India where the winters get very cold people enjoy variety of Parathas, Kachoris, Chole Puri and Paneer dishes. Here are some of the popular North and South Indian recipes.
Do check the entire list, as I have also included some Indian fusion breakfast recipes.
What do you serve Indian breakfasts with?
Many South Indian breakfast dishes are served with Chutney.
Parathas are served with pickle and yogurt.
Also no Indian breakfast is complete without masala chai or coffee.
Chutney Recipes –
Below sharing a easy upma made with left over Idli.
25+ Indian Breakfast Recipes (Vegetarian)
- Recipe for Idli Upma –
- 7 Idli
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green chili, slit
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 tablespoon grated carrot (optional)
- Heat 3 teaspoons of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them pop. Now add the chana dal and cumin seeds and fry for 30 seconds. Add the slit green chili, ginger and diced onion.
- Sprinkle some slat and cook till the onion turns soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Now add the turmeric and grated carrot (optional). cook for 30 seconds.
- Crumble 6 to 7 idli and add it the onion mixture. add salt to taste and mix it well.
- If you feel the mixture is dry sprinkle some water and cook for five minutes in low flame. Finally add lemon juice and coriander leaves and give a final toss and enjoy.