Indian Chutney Recipes – collection of 15+ tasty chutney recipes which can be enjoyed with breakfast items like dosa, idli, upma and pongal.
Some of these chutney can also be served with appetizers or snacks like vada and pakora. Chutney’s which are made with vegetables can be served with rice or roti. It is also a great way of sneaking in vegetables in your kids diet.
Chutney is a condiment or sauce originated in India. One cannot imagine a Indian meal with out some kind of chutney served with it.
Chutney is generally made from dals (lentils), vegetables or fruits. Most of them are savory, while some can be sweet.
Some of the recipes you can serve these chutney with –
Ginger Chutney (and 14 more Indian Chutney recipes)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons roasted chana dal
- 2-3 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1-2 teaspoons red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- few curry leaves
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- Heat 3 tsps oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Cook for 30 seconds and then add the onion and ginger. Cook till slightly soft and brown. Don't cook till super soft.. Add the red chili powder, tamarind, sugar and salt, Cook for a minute. Turn off the stove and cool the mixture.
- In a blender add the roasted chana dal and pulse it few times. Now add the sauteed onion-ginger mixture and grind it. Do not make a paste. Taste the chutney and adjust the salt.
- To do the tempering – heat oil and add the mustard seeds. Let the mustard pop and then add the urad dal and curry leaves. When the urad becomes light brown, add the asafoetida and switch off the flame. Add the tempering to the chutney and enjoy with moong dal dosa.