Last Updated on
Indian Fried Rice – Indian spin on a traditional Chinese Style fried rice. This popular street food from India is quick and easy to make and is a great way of using up left over rice. Its Vegan Too!
This Indian style Fried Rice is a delicious dish from Indo Chinese cuisine. Indo Chinese cuisine is the adaptation of Chinese dishes to Indian tastes. The combination of Indian spices with Chinese cooking techniques makes up for some unique and flavorful dishes.
India is very popular for its street food. You will see the vendors selling some amazing and most delicious food cooked in matter of minutes. One such popular street food is this Indian Fried Rice.
What makes it Indian is the addition of garam masala in the recipe. Garam Masala is a blend of many spices like coriander, cumin, cloves, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. The warm spices when tossed with array of vegetables. red chili, and soy sauce makes for a flavorful fried rice. Simple and delicious!
This vegan fried rice can be enjoyed as a meal or serve with Chinese style stir fry or Manchurian.
This Indian Veg Fried Rice
- is a quick and easy dish made with left over rice
- loaded with veggies
- is vegan and make it gluten free by using gluten free soy sauce.
Cooking the rice –
Left over rice works best in the recipe.
But if you are planning to make it fresh – Wash the rice several times and cook according to package instructions. Usually Long grain rice or Basmati rice is used to make the fried rice. But feel free to use what ever rice you have available at home. Once cooked spread the rice in a plate to cool off completely.
How to make Indian Fried Rice –
Step 1- In a wide wok or pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
Step 2- Now add the cabbage, beans, carrot and green peas and stir fry the veggies for 5 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
Step 3– Add the chopped red chili, garam masala, soy sauce, vinegar, whites of the green onion and saute for 30-45 seconds.
Step 4- Add the rice, salt and sweet and spicy chili sauce and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 5-Taste and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with green onion and serve hot.
Few more Indo Chinese Recipes –
Here is another wonderful recipe made with left over rice Easy Mexican Rice
Indian Fried Rice
- about 3 cups of cooked rice
- 1 small onion or shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger,chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic,finely chopped
- 1 cup of chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup of chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup of green peas i used frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 dry red chili, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sweet and spicy chili sauce
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- In a wide wok or pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
- Now add the cabbage, beans,carrot and green peas and stir fry for 5 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chopped red chili, garam masala, soy sauce, vinegar, whites of the green onion and saute for 30-45 seconds.
- Add the rice, salt and sweet and spicy chili sauce and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with green onion and serve hot.