This Vegan Coconut Bell Pepper Curry is a easy one pot dish loaded with warm spices and creamy coconut milk. Incredibly easy and delicious dish made in the instant pot.
India is famous for its vegetable dishes and infact dishes made of vegetables are most important part of any Indian meal. Nonetheless to say curries are a huge part of Indian meals and today I am sharing a curry made with cute colored min bell peppers.
Whole mini bell peppers are pan fried and simmered in a gravy made of onion, tomato, coconut and spices. The combination of peppers with this gravy pairs very well in this recipe.
The best part about this curry is making it in the instant pot. Add all the ingredients, saute for few minutes and pressure cook in the instant pot. While the gravy is getting ready in the instant pot, pan fry the bell peppers. Add the peppers to the gravy and serve the curry with warm flat bread and rice.
This Instant Pot Coconut Bell Pepper Curry is
- a delectable vegan curry
- incredibly easy to make
- can be enjoyed with naan, flat bread or rice
How to make Vegan Coconut Bell Pepper Curry ( step by step ) –
Wash the peppers and make a small slit in the middle of the peppers. Heat a tea spoon of oil and pan fry the peppers till light brown and soft.
1- Turn on the instant pot and press saute mode, add a tablespoon of oil. When the oil gets hot add the onion, ginger and garlic.
2- Saute for three minutes., till slightly soft.
3- Now add the tomato to the sauteed onion.
4- Cook the tomato for two minutes and they start to get soft.
5- Add the turmeric powder, curry powder, red chili powder, salt, garam masala and tomato paste.
6- Cook for 30 seconds.
7- Add half cup of thick coconut milk and a cup of water.
8- Give a mix and cancel the saute mode.
9- Press the manual or pressure cooker mode and adjust the time to 6 minutes on high pressure.
10- Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally.
11- Puree the mixture using a hand blender. If using a regular mixer jar, let the mixture cool before grinding.
12- Add the sauteed peppers, mint and quarter tea spoon of sugar. If you feel the curry is thick , you can add some water. Simmer the curry for five minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Finally add some lemon juice. Serve this Indian curry with naan, brown rice , biryani, white rice or millets.
What kind of coconut milk to use?
Thick coconut milk works well in this recipe.
What can I use in place of curry powder?
Use a combination of coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
Can I use cashew instead of coconut milk?
Yes, you may use cashew in place of coconut milk. If so, you may want to increase the water quantity for the gravy.
More Curry Recipes –
Vegan Coconut Bell Pepper Curry
- Colored mini bell pepper – about 12 to 15
- One large onion, diced
- 3 medium tomato, chopped
- 1.5 tbsp ginger pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
i used Kashmir chili powder which is mild
- 1 tsp curry powder or to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala or to taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of oil
- Handful of mint leaves
- 1 to 2 tsp Lemon juice
Pan frying the peppers-
- (To save time, pan fry the peppers while the sauce is cooking in the instant pot)
- Wash the peppers and with the help of pairing knife slightly slit the peppers in the middle.
- Heat 2 tsps of oil in a pan and add the peppers and fry them until soft and few brown spots.
Turn them occasionally to avoid burning. Set a side.
Making the Curry-
- Select the sauté mode on your instant pot, adjust the setting to high pressure.Once the pot gets hot add the oil and add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook for two to three minutes till onion gets soft.
- Add the tomato and cook for two minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, curry powder, garam masala, tomato paste and salt and cook for 30 seconds. (Curry powder can be replaced by coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala)
- Add the coconut milk and water and stir to combine.
- Press the cancel button, close the lid and adjust the vent to the sealing position.
- Press pressure cooker or manual and cook for 6 minutes on high. Let the pressure release naturally, takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to purée the mixture. If using a regular blender to purée, let the mixture cook before grinding.
- Add the sugar, mint and pan fried peppers. If you feel the curry is thick , you can add some water. Press the sauté mode and cook for 5 minutes till the sauce thickens slightly and peppers absorb the flavors of the sauce.
- Taste the sauce and adjust accordingly. Serve bell pepper curry with flat bread or rice.