Restaurant style Paneer Butter Masala made easily at home and in the Instant Pot. This rich and creamy curry is one of the most popular curries in Indian restaurants around the globe.
Paneer butter Masala is a creamy cashew based curry made with panner (Indian cottage cheese) and a gravy made of onion,tomato, ginger, garlic, cashew and spices. Cream and butter add richness to this dish.
Paneer butter masala is also called as paneer makhani. According to Wikipedia, this is one of the most popular vegetarian curries ordered in the Indian restaurants. But you certainly don’t have to wait to eat it only in the restaurant. We can certainly make it at home.
Traditionally, stove top method is used to make paneer butter masala. It is a slightly lengthy process, but worth the time.
But after I started making the Paneer Butter Masals in my instant pot, I was just blown away by how quick the process was and how good it tasted. One pot, no mess and no dirty dishes. Who wouldn’t love that?
But don’t worry if you don’t have an instant pot. You can also make the same recipe in the traditional pressure cooker.
This curry is my younger ones most favorite dish. I make it quite often at home. I generally make the gravy and freeze it in few batches. Defrost the gravy, add the paneer, warm it up and it is ready whenever he wants.
This Paneer Butter Masala
- is creamy, sweet and spicy
- easly made in the instant pot
- pairs well with jeera rice, roti or naan
Instant Pot Paneer Butter Masala Recipe ( step by step photos)
Since instant pot method is a dump and cook method, it is important to keep all the ingredients ready.
Chop the onion and tomato. Size doesn’t matter, because we are going to puree it later.Peel the ginger and garlic. Roughly chop them.
Keep all the powdered spices handy. You can also add all the spices in a bowl. Tie the whole spices in a cheese cloth.
Sauteing and Cooking –
1 – Turn on the instant pot and press saute mode. Add the butter and let it melt.Add the bay leaves and cumin. Saute for 10 seconds.
2 – Now add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute for two to three minutes.
3 – Add the tomato, all the powdered spices, cashew,salt and half cup of water.
4 – Give it a mix and place the cheese cloth with spices right in the middle.
5 – Close the lid and adjust the vent to the sealing position.Cancel the saute mode. Press the manual or pressure cooker mode and adjust the time to 8 minutes.
6 – Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally.Open the lid, discard the whole spices and bay leaves.
7 – Puree the mixture using a immersion blender. If using a regular mixer jar, let the mixture cool before grinding.
8 – Taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning.Add the cubed paneer pieces, sugar and cream.
9 – Press the sauté mode and cook the curry for five minutes. Finally you can add some lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serving suggestions –
Paneer butter masala can be served with warm nan, brown ric, jeera rice or pulav.
Can I replace Paneer ?
Paneer can be replaced with Tofu. Use firm tofu and saute the tofu with some salt and chill powder and add it to the curry.
WHAT CAN I REPLACE CREAM WITH?
Cream can be replaced with coconut milk or regular milk. If using regular milk, double the quantity.
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE VEGAN?
Yes you can. Replace butter with oil, paneer with tofu and omit the cream and add more cashew or add some coconut milk.
IF YOU DONT HAVE A CHEESE CLOTH?
If you dont have a cheese cloth, you can skip the whole spices. Just add little more garam masala.
Can I make the Paneer butter masala in pressure cooker?
Follow the exact same procedure and pressure cook in medium for three whistles. Let the pressure release naturally. Puree the ingredients, add the paneer and cream. Simmer for five minutes and serve the paneer butter masala.
Here is the Stove top method to make Paneer Butter Masala
Few more Instant Pot Recipes –
Instant Pot Stuffed Baby Eggplant Curry
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below. For more recipes and to see what’s cooking in my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
Instant Pot Paneer Butter Masala
- About 1 lb or 400 gms Paneer
- 2 medium onion diced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsps ginger
- 1.5 tbsps garlic
- About 14 whole cashews
- ¼ cup cream use coconut milk to make it vegan
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Lemon juice optional
- 1 tbsp butter (to make it vegan, skip butter and add oil)
- 1 tbsp oil
Whole Spices to wrap in cheese cloth-
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamoms
- 5 cloves
Powdered spices -
- ½ tsp red chili powder or to taste ( i used kashmiri chili powder)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¾ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp fenugreek podwer kasoori methi
Prepping the ingredients-
- Since instant pot method is a dump and cook method, it is important to keep all the ingredients ready.
- Chop the onion and tomato. Size doesn't matter, because we are going to puree it later.
- Peel the ginger and garlic. Roughly chop them.
- Keep all the powdered spices handy. You can also add all the spices in a bowl.
- Tie the whole spices in a cheese cloth.
Sautéing and cooking -
- Turn on the instant pot and press sauté mode. Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add the bay leaves and cumin. Sauté for 10to 15 seconds.
- Now add onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for three minutes.
- Add the tomato, all the powdered spices, cashew,salt and half cup of water.
- Give it a mix and place the cheese cloth with spices right in the middle. Make sure the cheese cloth is touching the other ingredient and the water. We want all the flavors of the whole spices to strep through.
- Close the lid and adjust the vent to the sealing position.
- Cancel the sauté mode. Press the manual or pressure cooker mode and adjust the time to 8 minutes.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid, carefully discard the whole spices and bay leaves.
- Puree the mixture using a immersion blender.
- If using a regular mixer jar, let the mixture cool before grinding.
- After you puree the mixture, Taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the cubed paneer pieces, sugar and cream.
- Press the sauté mode and cook the curry for five minutes.
- Turn off the instant pot. You can add some lemon juice ( optional) and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve the paneer butter masala with warm nan, jeer rice, chapathi or pulav.