Last Updated on
Instant Pot Paneer Butter Masala – one of the most popular curry’s found in Indian restaurants across the globe. Sharing the instant pot method which is super easy to make and full of flavors.
Paneer butter masala also called as paneer makhani is a slightly sweet and creamy dish made with paneer ( Indian cheese), butter, onion tomato and spice gravy, cashew/cream. According to Wikipedia, it is one of the most popular curry’s ordered in the restaurants.
Traditionally, stove top method is used to make paneer butter masala. It’s a lengthy process, which is worth the final outcome.
But after making paneer butter masala in my instant pot, I was just blown away by how quick the process was and how good it tasted. One pot, no mess and no dirty dishes. Who wouldn’t love that?
I can guarantee, once you try making it in the instant pot you will never go back to making it on the stove top.
Don’t worry if you don’t have an instant pot. You can also make the same recipe on the stove top pressure cooker.
This curry is my younger ones most favorite dish. I make it quite often at home. I generally make the gravy and freeze it in few batches. Defrost the gravy, add the paneer, warm it up and the dinner is ready.
This Paneer butter masala
— Is creamy, sweet and spicy.
— super easy to make in the instant pot.
Ingredients needed to make instant pot paneer butter masala
- Paneer ( Indian cheese), fresh or frozen
- onion & tomato ( use tomato which is red and riped, makes a huge diff on how the curry tastes)
- ginger & garlic
- cashew and cream
- spices( garam masala, red chilly powder, cumin & coriander powder, fenugreek powder, turmeric)
- whole spices( cardamom, cloves, bay leaf & cinnamon)
Instant Pot Paneer Butter Masala Recipe ( step by step photos)
Prepping the ingredients–
Since instant pot method is a dump and cook method, it is important to keep all the ingredients ready.
Chop the onion and tomato. Size doesn’t matter, because we are going to puree it later.
Peel the ginger and garlic. Roughly chop them.
Keep all the powdered spices handy. You can also add all the spices in a bowl.
Tie the whole spices in a cheese cloth.
Sauteing and cooking –
1) Turn on the instant pot and press saute mode. Add the butter and let it melt.
Add the bay leaves and cumin. Saute for 10 seconds.
2) Now add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute for two to three minutes.
3) Add the tomato, all the powdered spices, cashew,salt and half cup of water.
4) Give it a mix and place the cheese cloth with spices right in the middle.
5) Close the lid and adjust the vent to the sealing position.
Cancel the saute mode. Press the manual or pressure cooker mode and adjust the time to 8 minutes.
6) Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally.
Open the lid, discard the whole spices and bay leaves.
7) Puree the mixture using a immersion blender. If using a regular mixer jar, let the mixture cool before grinding.
8) Taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning.
Add the cubed paneer pieces, sugar and cream.
9) Press the sauté mode and cook the curry for five minutes.
10) Turn off the instant pot. You can add some lemon juice ( optional) and garnish with cilantro.
few paneer & tofu recipes from the blog –
Can I replace Paneer
Paneer can be replaced with Tofu.. Just use the firm tofu and saute the tofu with some salt and chill powder and add it to the curry.
What can I replace cream with
Cream can be replaced with coconut milk or regular milk. If using regular milk, double the quantity.
Can I make this recipe vegan
Yes you can. Replace butter with oil, paneer with tofu and omit the cream and add more cashew or add some coconut milk.
If you dont have a cheese cloth
If you dont have a cheese cloth, you can add the whole spices while sauteing.
Just make sure you remove the whole spices before making puree of the cooked mixture.
Few musts when making the paneer butter masala
Use ripe, juicy red tomatoes.
Be generous with the spices, it’s important to add all the spices to get the best flavors.
Can I make the Paneer butter masala in pressure cooker?
Follow the exact same procedure and pressure cook in medium for three whistles. Let the pressure release naturally. Puree the ingredients, add the paneer and cream. Simmer for five minutes and serve the paneer butter masala.
Serving suggestions – Paneer butter masala can be served with warm nan, brown rice or jeera rice.
Instant Pot Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
Instant Pot Paneer Butter Masala
- About 1 lb or 400 gms Paneer
- 2 medium onion diced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1.5 tbsps ginger
- 1.5 tbsps garlic
- About 14 whole cashews
- ¼ cup cream or coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Lemon juice optional
Whole Spices to wrap in cheese cloth-
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamoms
- 5 cloves
Powdered spices -
- 3/4 tsp red chilly powder or to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¾ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp fenugreek podwer kasoori methi
- Prepping the ingredients-Since instant pot method is a dump and cook method, it is important to keep all the ingredients ready.Chop the onion and tomato. Size doesn't matter, because we are going to puree it later.Peel the ginger and garlic. Roughly chop them.Keep all the powdered spices handy. You can also add all the spices in a bowl.Tie the whole spices in a cheese cloth.Sautéing and cooking -Turn on the instant pot and press sauté mode. Add the butter and let it melt.Add the bay leaves and cumin. Sauté for 10to 15 seconds.Now add onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for three minutes.Add the tomato, all the powdered spices, cashew,salt and half cup of water.Give it a mix and place the cheese cloth with spices right in the middle. Make sure the cheese cloth is touching the other ingredient and the water. We want all the flavors of the whole spices to strep through. Close the lid and adjust the vent to the sealing position.Cancel the sauté mode. Press the manual or pressure cooker mode and adjust the time to 8 minutes.Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally.Open the lid, carefully discard the whole spices and bay leaves.Puree the mixture using a immersion blender.If using a regular mixer jar, let the mixture cool before grinding. After you puree the mixture, Taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning.Add the cubed paneer pieces, sugar and cream.Press the sauté mode and cook the curry for five minutes.Turn off the instant pot. You can add some lemon juice ( optional) and garnish with cilantro.Serve the paneer butter masala with warm nan, jeer rice, chapathi or pulav.
Few more curries