Last Updated on
Instant Rava Vada recipe – rava vada is a tasty breakfast or evening snack recipe made with rava ( suji). Its a savory fried snack, popular in south Indian states. Its an instant vada recipe made in under 30 minutes. Serve the rava vada with chutney or sambar.
Vada is a very popular breakfast and eveining snack recipe in South Indian states like Karnataka, Tamilnadu and Andhra/Telangana. It’s a deep-fried dish generallty made with lentils. Today’s recipe is an instant vada made with rava ( upma rava) also called as suji or semolina or cream of wheat. No grinding and fermentation is required in making these vade.
In andhra and telangana rava vada ia also called bombay rava garelu. In karnataka its called rave vade and in the north its called suji vada. serve the rava vada with coconut chutney, ginger chutney or peanut chutney. if kids like it, you can seve the rava vada with tomato ketchup too.
how to make crispy and soft rava vada?
- The two main components in making the rava vada soft and crispy are baking soda and yogurt. Both yogurt and baking soda will help in the quick fermentation and get soft cripsy vada’s.
- Adding all the ingredients and resting the batter for twenty minutes helps in the fermentation process.
- Another important step is to have the batter which is neither too runny or hard. Too runny batter will not hold properly and will lead to a flat vada. Less moisture will lead to a hard vada.
If you are not sure with the consistency of the vada batter, make one small vada and check for seasoning and texture and adjust accordingly.
Enjoy these instant rava vada as an evening snack, a get together or during festivals. Serve the vada with coconut chutney.
I am also sharing the video link for the instant rava vada. You can watch more videos in my you tube channel – Madhu’s Everyday Indian
Few more vada recipes from my blog –
Instant Rava Vada Video
Full detailed recipe of instant rava vada –
Instant Rava Vada
- 1 cup rava / suji/ semolina
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- few curry leaves finely chopped
- green chili - 2 to 3 finely chopped
- chopped ginger - 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
- baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- salt to taste
- plain curd - 1/2 cup
- oil to deep fry the vada
- water - 1 to 2 tbsps if required
- finely chop the onion, green chilly, ginger and coriander leaves.
- In a large bowl combine the rava, chopped onion, green chili, curry leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, cumin seeds, baking powder and salt. mix well.
- next add the curd little at a time. you may need slightly less or more curd depending on the quality of your rava.
- The batter should neither be too runny or hard.
- mix the batter with your hands until all ingredients are well incorporated. No need to knead the batter.
- cover with a a plate and let rest for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, mix the mixture. If you feel its too thick, add a tables spoon of water to get the right consistency.
- Grease a parchment paper or a banana leaf with oil.
- Grease your hands with little oil, take some batter and place it on the banana leaf and flatten them little bit and make a small whole in the center.
- Deep fry the vada in medium flame until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the hot, crispy instant rava vada with coconut chutney.
Step by step photos on how to make instant rava vada recipe
Lets prep all the ingredients to make crispy rava vada –
Finely chop the onion, green chilly, ginger and coriander leaves.
Mixing all the ingredients–
In a large bowl combine the rava /suji , onion, green chili, curry leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, cumin seeds, baking powder and salt. Give it a mix.
Next add the curd little at a time.
You may need slightly less or more curd depending on the quality of your rava.
Mix the batter with your hands until all ingredients are well incorporated. No need to knead the batter.
The batter should neither be too runny or hard.
Cover with a a plate and let rest for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, open the lid and mix the mixture. If you feel the batter is too thick, add a table spoon of water or more to get the right consistency.
Shaping the rava vada –
Grease a banana leaf or a parchment paper with little oil.
Lets grease our hands with little oil too. Now take some batter and place it on the banana leaf and flatten them little bit and make a small whole in the centre, as shown in the picture.
Frying the vada –
In a frying pan, add oil and heat it to medium temperature. Make sure the oil is not very hot.
Drop the vada in hot oil.
Deep fry the vada in medium flame until golden brown on both sides.
Serve the hot, cripsy instant rava vada with chutney of your choice.
You can also refer my rava vada video for clear instructions on how to make these soft vada’s.