Last Updated on
Kosambari recipe with video and step by step photos– Kosambari is a traditional salad from the cuisine of Karnataka. Kosambari is made with legumes ( pulses) like split green gram and split bengal gram. The recipe i am sharing today uses green gram. Sprouted green gram are combined with cucumber, carrot, cauliflower and seasoned with mustard, green chili and asafotedia. Its a healthy and tasty recipe. sprouted green gram or sprouted mung dal are called molake hesaru kalu in karnataka.
Traditionally kosambari or koshambari is made during festival season like Ram Navami, and Gowri Ganesha festival. It is also served as prasada at temple and festivals.
how to make sprouts-
To make the mung beans sprouts, wash the beans and soak over night. Next day drain all the water, transfer the dal to a container and close with a lid. Keep the dal in a dark place. after a day open the lid and if the dal looks dry, sprinkle some water and place it back for the dal to sprout. In a day you should have the sprouts. If you prefer long sprouts, leave it for another half day.
Check out my other salad recipes:
Please take a look at my video recipes which use mung bean sprouts –
kosambari video recipe-
kosambari recipe chart-
- Sprouted Green Moong dal ( mung bean sprouts) – 2 cups ( see below on how to sprout the green moong dal)
- cucumber – 1, finely chopped
- grated carrot – 1
- grated cauliflower- 1/2 cup
- coriander leaves- 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Tempering ingredients:
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chana dal – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Finely chopped Green chilly – 1
- A pinch of Asafatedia
- To Sprout:
- Soak the moong dal in enough water for 8-10 hours. Drain the water completely. Put the dal in a container, close it and leave it in a dark place. Let stand for 1½ day to 2 days. Sprouts are ready to be used.
- In a bowl, Combine the sprouted Moong dal, cucumber, carrot, cauliflower, coriander leaves, salt and lemon juice.
- Do the tempering by heating the oil. When the oil gets hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.Add the chana dal, cumin seeds, green chilly, curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the Moong dal mixture. Check for the seasoning.
- Mix and serve immediately..
kosambari recipe with step by step photos-
In a bowl, and the sprouted mung dal.
To the sprouts add the cucumber, carrot, cauliflower and coriander leaves.
Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
Do the tempering by heating the oil. When the oil gets hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
Add the chana dal, cumin seeds, green chilly, curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry for few seconds.
Add the tempering to the Mung dal mixture.
Check for the seasoning. Mix and serve immediately.