Mathan Thoran is a simple Pumpkin stir fry from the cuisine of Kerala.
Pumpkin cooked with coconut. green chili and a simple tempering of mustard seeds and curry leaves makes it very flavorful
Pumpkin is available in abundance in fall and I am always looking for ways to incorporate pumpkin in my diet.
Here is a simple Kerala style stir fry, which can be enjoyed with rice. This is one recipe where the true flavors of pumpkin are elevated with out much masalas.
This Pumpkin Thoran
- is a simple Indian style stir fry
- is nutritious and delicious
- is vegan and can be made gluten free by skipping asafoetida
- a healthy side dish which can be enjoyed with rice
Serve the Indian style pumpkin stir fry with rice, ghee and rasam.
More Pumpkin Recipes-
f you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below.
Indian Pumpkin Stir Fry
- 2.5 cups cubed pumpkin
- 3 green chili or to taste
- ¼ cup fresh coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Wash the pumpkin and peel the skin. Make small cube size pieces.
- Finely chop the green chili, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- In a mortar add the green chili, cumin seeds, coconut and coriander leaves. Make a coarse paste, you can also use a blender.
Making the stir fry-
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When mustard starts dancing around, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, cubed pumpkin, turmeric and little salt. Mix well and close the lid.
- Cook on a low flame, stirring every now and then till the pumpkin becomes soft but still holding its shape. You can sprinkle some water during the cooking process.
- When the pumpkin is about ¾th done, add the ground mixture. Mix well and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. And the lemon juice and check for the seasoning. Serve the pumpkin thoran with rice.