Last Updated on
Mattar Paneer,the ever popular dish in Indian restaurants gets a healthy make over by replacing paneer with tofu. I also included some baby spinach which blended well with the spices. Makes for a quick nutritious meal. Serve over rice or Indian flatbread.
If interested check out my other Tofu recipe-
Mattar Palak Tofu:
- Firm tofu – 8 ounces cubed
- Frozen peas- 1 cup
- Large tomato – 2 chopped
- Small Onion – 1 chopped fine
- Corn- 1/4 th cup ( optional)
- Spinach- 2 cups loosely packed
- Ginger – 1 inch grated
- Garlic cloves- 1 chopped
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 the tsp
- Red chilly powder- 3/4th tsp or to taste
- Kasoori methi- a generous pinch
- Milk- 1/4 the cup ( I used 2 % milk)
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Oil – 3 tsps
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
- In a non stick pan, add a tsp of oil and the tofu cubes. Season with some salt and red chilly powder. Sautee the tofu until light golden color on both sides. Remove and set a side.
- In the same pan heat the rest of the oil. Add the chopped onion, ginger and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Sautée till onions are softened.
- Add in the garam masala, coriander powder and red chilly powder. Fry for 30 seconds. Add the chopped tomato and salt. Cook till tomato becomes mushy.
- Add the corn and baby spinach,fry for a minute. Add the water and stir well. Give a quick boil.
- Add the stir fried tofu, dry fenugreek leaves and milk. Stir well, reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Check for the seasoning.
- Serve over rice or Indian flat bread ( roti).