Last Updated on
India is very popular for its curries.. Though each region has its own version of making these curry’s the definition of a wet curry is basically a sauce based on either yogurt, nuts (cashew or almonds), coconut milk or lentils. Today’s recipe is my take on a classic vegetable curry with the addition of coconut milk in it. Its a curry which has a blend of different spices and is simmered in a thick coconut milk. The spices give a nice aroma and flavor to the vegetable curry.
Do not get over whelmed with the list of ingredients, Its fairly a simple recipe. Though I have mentioned lot of spices, you can completely skip them and just use the garam masala and red chilly powder. Even this way the recipe works just fine.
Enjoy this rich curry with some Indian flat bread (Naan) or with pulav.
Mixed Vegetable Coconut Curry Recipe
Mixed Vegetable Coconut Curry
- Green beans - 1/2 cup cut to half inch
- Carrot - 1/2 cup Cut to round circles
- Green Peas - 1/2 cup fresh or frozen
- Cauliflower florets - 1 cup
- Cooked Chick peas- 1/2 cup
- Potato - 1 cubed
- 2 large tomato pureed
- Coconut milk- 2 cups
- Tomato paste - 1 tsp
- Ginger - 1 inch chopped fine
- Garlic pods - 2 chopped fine optional
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/4th tsp
- Garam masala to taste
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Bay leaves- 2
- Cloves - 3
- Cardamom -3
- Cinnamon stick - 1
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Oil - 3 tbsps
- Handful of mint leaves
- A big handful of coriander leaves
making the curry -
- In a pan heat a table spoon of oil. Add the potato and saute for five minutes. Now add the rest of the veggies and a 1/4 tsp of salt. Cook till all the veggies get little soft. Turn off the stove and set a side.
- Now in another large pan add rest of oil the. Add the bay leaves, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Fry for few seconds.
- Now add the chopped onion and some salt. Cook till the onion becomes soft.
- Now add the pureed tomato and cook till mushy.
- Add in the coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and red chilly powder. Fry for few seconds.
- Stir in the coconut milk, tomato paste and necessary water for the gravy.
- Cook the gravy for ten minutes and check the seasoning.
- Now add all the veggies and boiled chick peas. Reduce the heat to low and cook the curry for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Finally add chopped mint, coriander leaves and lemon juice. Give a mix and turn off the heat.
- Serve the mixed vegetable coconut curry with some Flat bread (Naan) or pulav.