Last Updated on
Pan fried patties or cutlets made with veggies, potato, quinoa and rice. Tasty and filling cutlets which can be eaten for breakfast, snack or pack them for kids lunch.
Cutlets are popular snack item in Indian cuisine. There are many variations, this vegetarian version is made with potato, rice, quinoa, vegetables and spices.
These vegetable cutlets or veggie patties are pan fried, making them healthy. You can also bake or deep fry these cutlets.
Why this recipe works-
- easy, tasty and delicious snack
- these are pan fried keeping them healthy
- loaded with veggies, spinach, quinoa and brown rice
- perfect tea time snack
How to make Cutlets-
1)Cook the potato till fork tender. Remove the skin and mash them. Grate the carrot, finely chop the onion, bell pepper and spinach.
2) In a large bowl add the potato, cooked quinoa, brown rice, carrot, onion, sweet corn, bell pepper, spinach, salt, red chili powder, cumin powder,garam masala, chaat masala (optional) and lemon juice.
3) Using a fork mash all the ingredients until well combined.
4) At this point you can add some red chilly sauce and bread crumbs. They are optional but definitely add the bread crumbs if the mixture is falling apart.
5) Take a small portion of the mixture and make a patty. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
6) Heat a skillet ( I used non stick skillet), add a tea spoon of oil and pan fry the cutlets on both sides.
7) Cook on medium heat on both sides. The cutlets will be slightly soft when done, let rest for five minutes to firm up.
More Cutlet recipes from the blog –
Mixed Veggies Quinoa Brown Rice Cutlet
- 2 cups of cooked potato, mashed
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 th cup corn
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala optional
- salt to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red chilly sauce optional
- bread crumbs (optional) use it to bind, if your patties are falling apart
- Combine potato, spinach, quinoa,brown rice, bell pepper,corn and carrot.
- Add all the spices, salt and lemon juice.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning if required.
- If using bread crumbs and them now and mix again.
- Take a small portion of the mixture, make a round ball and flatten it gently.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Heat a pan, coat with oil and pan fry the cutlets on both sides.
- Remove and serve the cutlets with ketchup or mint chutney.
- The cutlets will be slightly soft when done. Rest for five minutes and they will firm up.
This recipe was originally posted on Jan 11, 2013. Recently it has been updated and republished again.