Last Updated on
Moist banana bread loaded with ripe bananas, nuts and chocolate chips. Perfect for breakfast, tea time snack or dessert.
Banana bread is one of those classic recipes which can be made and enjoyed any time of the year.
This simple, moist and mildly sweet bread is easy to make and comes together in little over an hour.
How do you keep Banana Bread moist?
The key to making a moist banana bread is to use ripe bananas in the recipe.
The bananas which have dark spots, that’s the one you need. (see the pic below for reference). Ripe bananas add natural sweetness to the bread and keeps them moist.
Frozen ripe bananas also work in the recipe. Just defrost the banana in the counter top before using. Please do not use the banana which are barely ripe. Those just wont work…..
Ingredients needed to make Banana Bread-
- Banana– its very important to use the bananas which are ripe and have dark spots all over. If not the flavor and taste of the banana bread will not be the same.
- Butter– using soft room temperature butter will help the bread lighten and make it fluffy during the baking process.
- Brown sugar– it keep the bread moist.
- Egg – eggs add moisture, structure, emulsification and leavening in baking.
- Baking powder & Baking Soda– both are leaveners which will lighten up and increase the volume of the bread.
- Vanilla extract and Cinnamon for flavoring
Chocolate recipes –
How to make banana bread ( with step by step pics)
1)Add the ripe banana in to small bowl.
2) Mash the banana with a fork until soft and mushy and set a side.
3) In a large bowl add the softened room temparture butter and brown sugar. Using a hand blender, blend these two ingredients for two minutes. If using a whisk, blend for 3 minutes.
4) Add mashed banana and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture.
5) Blend till the banana is well incorporated to the butter mixture.
6) Add the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon to the wet ingredients.
7) Gently fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with a spatula.
8) Add the nuts and the chocolate chips and fold in the batter.
9) Pour the prepared batter into a greased and lined loaf pan and top it with chocolate chips.
10) Pre heat the oven to 350 F or 175 C and bake the banana bread for 50 to 60 minutes until the tooth pick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
11) Cool the bread in the pan for ten minutes and on the counter top for 30 minutes before slicing.
Storing & Freezing –
- On the kitchen counterfor up to 3 days
- In the refrigerator for up to a week
- In the freezer for 2 to 3 months. Wrap the banana bread individually with 2 layers of cling wrap and store them in a container. Thaw the bread on the counter top or in the refrigerator. If in hurry pop it in the microwave in a closed container for 30 seconds to one minute and enjoy.
How to make vegan banana bread?
- To make vegan bread replace butter with vegetable or canola oil.
- To replace egg use one of the following-
Flax seed mixture– mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tbsps warm water and whisk until slightly thickened.
Apple sauce– blend 3 tbsps applesauce with 1/2 tsp baking powder
Chia seeds – combine 1 tbsp chia seeds with 1/4 cup warm water and use it after its thickened.
Other ingredient substitutions-
- To make it dairy free– replace butter with oil.
- To make it Vegan – replace egg with flax egg and butter with vegetable oil.
- To make it gluten free – Use a good quality gluten free flour in place of all purpose flour.
- To make it egg free- use flax egg
- To replace all purpose flour– use whole wheat flour, but just remember the bread might be slightly dense.
Why is my banana bread dry?
Use a spatula to fold the dry and wet ingredients, to get a tender crumb.
Do not leave the banana bread uncovered for hours before storing. Wrap the banana bread with a cling wrap when it is still slightly warm.
Another banana recipe which I love eating are these Banana Nutella Ravioli
Moist Banana bread recipe card-
Moist Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 large ripe banana
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter 1/2 cup
- 1 cup brown sugar, I used lite brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips and extra to garnish on top
- 1/2 chopped nuts
- Pre heat the oven to 350 F or 175 C and adjust the over rack to middle.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl add the ripe banana and mash them with a fork till soft.
- In a large bowl add the softened butter and sugar. Using a hand mixer or a whisk mix the butter and sugar till softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk until well incorporated.
- Now add the mashed banana and whisk it.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Using a spatula fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just blended. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Carefully pour the batter into the prepared pan and top it with chocolate chips.
- Bake the banana bread for 50 to 60 mins until the tooth pick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Keep an eye on the baking time after 45 mins, you definitely don’t want to over bake the bread.
- Cool the bread in the loaf pan for ten minutes and on the counter top for atleast 30 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy for breakfast, snack or dessert.
This post was originally published in April 2013. It has been recently updated with new pics and step by step method and republished.