Last Updated on
Kosambari is a traditional salad from Karnataka. Its typically served as a part of the meal during festivals, weddings and gatherings. The soaked dals are combined with cucumber, carrot, coconut and tempered with mustard seeds, green chilly and asafetida. Its a healthy raw salad, loaded with protein.
Here is a collection of few more Kosambari recipes form my blog-
Moong dal & Chana dal Kosambari Recipe-
- Yellow Moong dal- ½ cup
- Chana dal- 1 tbsp.
- Medium Cucumber- 1
- Small carrot - 1 (grated)
- Freshly grated coconut-1 tbsp.
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Tempering Ingredients:
- Mustard seeds- ¼th tsp
- Asafetida- a pinch
- Small Green chilly- 2 (finely chopped)
- Oil- 2 tsps
- Soak the Moong dal and Chana dal in water for two hours. Drain the excess water and set a side.
- Peel the cucumber and finely chop it.
- In a small pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard pop, add the green chilly and asafetida. Fry for few seconds and turn off the heat.
- In a bowl, combine the drained dals, cucumber, carrot and coriander. Add the tempering, salt and lemon juice. Toss well and serve immediately.
If you are planning to serve later, prep all the ingredients and toss the salad right before serving.