Moong dal Kosambari is a South Indian style lentil salad. This protein rich lentil salad is light, healthy, refreshing and tasty. Its vegan too!
Soaked yellow lentils (moong dal) are mixed with veggies and a tempering of mustard seeds, green chili, and asafoetida are added to the salad. Makes for a refreshing dish to enjoy before the main meal.
Kosambari is the traditional name used for salads in Karnataka. In Kannada it is called Hesarubele Kosambari. Its an integral part of all special occasions like wedding, festivals like Sri Rama Navami and gatherings.
Today’s recipe is the simple and refreshing Moong dal Kosambari where the soaked Moong dal is combined with chopped cucumbers, grated carrot and fresh coconut and seasoned with green chilly and mustard seeds. Fresh clean flavors makes this salad a keeper.
Soft lentils combined with crunchy cucumber, sweet carrot, sour mango and green chili makes for a delicious tasting salad.
Few more Kosmabri Recipes –
Moong Dal Kosambari
- ½ cup yellow moong dal
- 1 small cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 to 3 tsps grated mango ( or add lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
For Tempering –
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 to 2 green chili, finely chopped ( or to taste)
- 1 spring of curry leaves
- pinch of asafoetida
- Was the yellow moong dal and soak it in plenty of water for 2 to 3 hours.
- After 3 hours drain the water from the dal and add to a large bowl.
- To the soaked dal, add chopped cucumber, grated carrot, green mango ( or lemon juice), salt and coriander leaves.
- To do the tempering- In a small pan heat the il and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard pops, add the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Fry fpr 15 seconds. Add green chili and asafoetida. Fry for 30 seconds and turn of the heat.
- Add the tempering to the dal and veggies. Mix it well and rest for ten minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.