Last Updated on
Kosumbari is the traditional name used for salads in Karnataka. Its an integral part of all special occasions like wedding, festivals and gatherings.Today’s recipe is the simple and refreshing Moong dal Kosambari where the soaked Moong dal is combined with chopped cucumbers, grated carrot and fresh coconut and seasoned with green chilly and mustard seeds. Fresh clean flavors makes this salad a keeper.
Few more salad recipes:
- Yellow moong dal (Hesaru bele /Pesarapappu)– 1/2 cup (soak the dal for 2 hrs & drain the water completely)
- Small cucumber- 1 (chopped to small pieces)
- Carrot- 1 (grated)
- Grated raw mango lemon juice – add according to your taste
- Green chilly – 2 (finely chopped)
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Freshly grated Coconut- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste and
- Tempering ingredients
- Soak the Moong dal in water for two hours. After two hours drain the water completely.
- Add the cucumber, carrot, coconut, mango / lemon juice,salt and cilantro.
- Do the tempering with 1 tsp oil, few mustard seeds, few cumin (jeera) seeds, a pinch of asafetida (hing) and the chopped green chilly. Fry for few seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Add the tempering to the Moong dal mixture. Toss well.
- Serve immediately.
- Do not discard the water in which the Moong dal was soaked. Use it in the sambar or dals.