Moong sprouts & mango Kosambari – Healthy and protein packed kosambari (salad) made with sprouted green moong dal and green mango.
Enjoy the kosambari as a snack or as a part of a meal.
What is Kosambari?
Kosambari is a South Indian salad ( originally from the state of Karnataka). It is made with lentils like moong dal and seasoned with a tempering of mustard seeds, green chily and hing.
Its a light,refreshing and a healthy salad which can be enjoyed any time of the year.
The recipe I am sharing today is made with sprouted green moong dal and green mango salad. Very simple recipe, but big on nutrition and flavors.
How do you make Kosambari?
The star ingredients which goes into making the kosambari is sprouted green moong dal.
I pressure cook the sprouts, make sure you cook them slightly. But if you prefer fresh sprouts, you can skip this step.
Do a tempering with mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilly and asafoetida. Add the sprouts, fresh coconut and green mango. Toss all the ingredients until well combined. The sweet and sour mango adds a burst of freshness in the recipe.
Enjoy this guilt free kosambari as a snack.
HOW TO MAKE SPROUTS-
- To make the green moong dal sprouts, wash the dal thoroughly and drain. Add plenty of water to the dal and soak over night or atleast 10 hours.
- Next day drain all the water, transfer the dal to a container and close with a lid. Keep the dal in a dark place.
- After a day open the lid – if the dal looks dry, sprinkle some water on the top. Set a side for one more day.
- Next day you will see that the sprouts have formed.
- If you like to have long sprouts, set a side for another 6 hours.
This recipe was originally posted on august 16, 2012. Its been updated with new pictures.
Moong dal & Mango Kosambari recipe
- 2 cups Sprouted Green Moong Dal
- 1/2 cup green mango , grated or thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Fresh grated coconut
- 1 Green Chilly, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp oil
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- finely chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- 6 curry leaves
- pinch Asafoetida
Cooking the sprouts in the instant pot-
- Add a cup of water in your instant pot. Place a trivet and add the sprouts in to a steel container which will fit in your instant pot. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 cup of water.
- Close the lid, adjust the vent to sealing position and cook for 0 minutes in manual or pressure cooker mode. Do a quick release.
Cooking the sprouts in the pressure cooker-
- In a pressure cooker add the sprouts, half teaspoon of salt and half cup of water. Pressure cook on high for one whistle. Set a side, release the pressure after five minutes.
- Make sure you are not over cooking the sprouts. We are just looking for the sprouts to get slightly soft.
- In a pan add a teaspoon of oil. Once the oil gets hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Now add the cumin seeds, green chilly, curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida. Fry these for few seconds.
- Now add the sprouts and coat them with the seasoning. Turn off the stove.
- Add the grated mango, coconut, lemon juice, salt and coriander leaves. Mix well, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- If preferred, you can skip cooking the sprouts and just use the fresh ones.
- If green mango is not in season, you can replace mango with green apple.