Hearty mushroom and green peas are cooked in few Indian spices and a tasty tomato cashew base. Makes for a comforting side to serve with naan and rice.
Onion, tomato and cashew based dishes are some of my favorite foods. The base for this curry is so versatile and cab be used with many combination of vegetables and paneer and tofu.
This mushroom peas curry, also called as matar mushroom can be served with flat bread like naan, rice of your choice or some whole wheat chapathi.
Few more curry recipes from the blog-
Paneer Butter Masala // Rajma Masala // Bell Pepper Curry, video // Vegan Tofu Bell Pepper Curry
Mushroom recipes –
Mushroom Corn Curry // Mushroom Kadhi // Paneer Mushroom Masala
Mushroom Peas Curry Recipe –
Mushroom Peas Curry
- Button Mushrooms – about 20 sliced
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 medium onion
- 3 ripe tomato
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup cashew
- 1 tsp tomato paste optional, definitely use it if the tomato is not ripe
- ½ tsp turmerc powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder or to taste
- ½ tsp red chilly powder or to taste, i used kashmiri red chilly powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ cup water or more
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 tbsps oil + 2 tsp oil
making onion-tomato-cashew paste-
- Heat a table spoon of oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook till soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomato and cashew and cook till tomato turn mushy.
- Turn the stove off and wait few minutes for the mixture to cool.
- Use a immersion blender to make a puree of the mixture.
- You can also transfer the cooled the mixture to a blender and make a paste. Hold the lid tightly to avoid spilling.
- Slice the mushroom and saute them in a two tea spoons of oil. Mushroom will release water initially, but the water will be eventually absorbed. Set a side.
making the curry –
- Heat a table spoon of oil and add the tomato cashew paste and cook for 5-10 minutes, till it thickens slightly and oil oozes out.
- Add the green peas, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chilly powder and salt.
- Cook the masala for a minute. Now add the mushroom and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water and bring it to a boil. Simmer the curry for ten minutes till you get the desired consistency. You may want to adjust the amount of water used.
- Check for seasoning and finally add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Serve the mushroom peas curry with naan and rice.
Incredible combo, mushroom and peas makes a wonderful pair in curries.
both main veggies are my post fav, that is a fab idea of combination
simply delicious curry…
Wow! Your mushroom green peas currry looks really fabulous and delicious Madhavi 🙂
curry looks delicious and tempting.