Moist, rich and chocolaty this nutella cake is so easy to make and tastes divine. One bowl, 3 ingredients and 30 minutes is all you need to make this decadent dessert. A must try recipe for all Nutella lovers.
My older one loves Nutella and enjoys desserts made with them. This recipe is her favorite because we are not only making the cake with nutella, but also frosting with it. YUM!
This quick and easy nutella chocolate cake is a great beginner recipe for kids who want to try baking. With minimal ingredients and simple procedure, this fool proof recipe will give them the confidence to bake more in the future. So with out any further delay, let’s dive into the recipe and its procedure.
To begin with, what exactly is Nutella?
Nutella is a Chocolate Hazelnut spread made by an Italian company called Ferrero.It is a smooth, creamy spread used widely as a topping on bread, as a dip, in sandwiches or paired with fruits.
Nutella can also be used to make cakes, cupcakes, brownies and sweet ravioli. Today we are going to use nutella to make a simple cake which is tasty and easy to put together.
Why this Nutella chocolate cake works
- Quick and easy recipe with just 3 ingredients
2. It is moist, rich and chocolaty.
3. A perfect last minute party dessert to bake.
Ingredients in Nutella Cake –
- Nutella ( chocolate hazelnut spread)
2. Eggs, at room temperature
3. All Purpose Flour
How to make Nutella Cake-
1)Having eggs in room temperature, will help in easy mixing. If you have some time, do leave the eggs on the counter top for few minutes.
2) Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175 C and adjust the oven rack to center.
3) Grease and line a parchment paper in a 8 inch baking dish and set a side.
4) Mixing nutella and eggs – Add nutella and eggs in a large bowl and beat them with a hand blender or a whisk.
5) Whisk the eggs and nutella until they slightly increase in volume, about 3 minutes.
6) Adding the flour– Add all purpose flour to the nutella mixture. Gently fold in the flour until well incorporated. Scrape the sides and mix thoroughly to avoid any flour sticking in the bottom of the bowl.
7) Transfer the prepared batter to the greased pan.
8) Baking the cake – Bake the nutella cake for 25 to 35 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
9) Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 to 12 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack. Its important to cool the cake completely before frosting.
10) Frost the nutella chocolate cake with as little or as much of nutella as you desire. Slice and enjoy the the cake with a cup of cold milk.
What are the ingredients in Nutella spread?
Nutella is made of hazelnuts, sugar, coco powder, modified palm oil, skimmed milk powder, whey, lecithin and vanillin.
What can I substitute nutella with?
If you cannot find nutella, use any other good quality chocolate hazelnut spread.
Can I freeze the cake?
Yes, you can freeze the cake for up to 2 months. Let the cake cool completely and slice them and wrap individually before freezing.
More Cake recipes from the blog –
If you tried this recipe, don’t forget to give a star rating below. For more recipes and to see what’s cooking in my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
Quick Nutella Cake Recipe –
Nutella Chocolate Cake
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1.5 cups nutella or a good quality chocolate hazelnut spread
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and adjust the oven rack to center.
- Grease and line a parchment paper in a 8 inch baking dish. Set a side.
- Add nutella and eggs in a large bowl and beat them with a hand blender or a whisk. Beat the mixture for three minutes, until it slightly increases in volume.
- Add all purpose flour to the nutella mixture. Gently fold in the flour until well incorporated. Scrape the sides and mix thoroughly to avoid any flour sticking in the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the prepared batter to the greased pan. Bake the cake for 25 to 35 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack. Its important to cool the cake completely before frosting.
- Frost the cake with nutella and enjoy a slice with a cup of cold milk.
- Frosting can be skipped, but I wouldn’t do it. It tastes really good with the frosting.
- This nutella cake freezes beautifully. Slice the cake and wrap them individually in foil. Freeze them for up to 2 months.
- Defrost the frozen slice of cake for 30 minutes on the counter top or pop in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds.
I baked this tonight. It took 55 minutes not 35, the middle took longer to cook. It was delicious.
Can I use this recipe to make it a mug cake if so, can you tell me how many minutes to put I’m craving some chocolate cake. Thank you
Sorry I have not tried making mug cake, but you can try with a very small quantity.
I made it with self-raising flour and it came out perfectly!
Thank you for sharing your feedback! So glad to know that self raising flour worked.
Can you add nuts and what type?
You can try walnuts, hazelnuts or cashew.
I will try this recipe now. Will comment again when this is done. Am from the Philippines
What is the nutrition facts for this do you know? Like how many calories or fat
Sorry I don’t share nutrition information.
Can I substitute this flour with coconut flour?
I have not tried it with coconut flour. Since coconut flour is gluten free, not sure how it will work.
I would think the coconut flour would work since most of the volume and structure of the cake comes from the eggs. You might need to adjust the amount because different flours like coconut, rice, tapioca all absorb liquids differently. Some of them can be substituted 1:1.
Do you recommend adding baking powder and baking soda to this awesome recipe of yours?
I have not tried with baking powder or baking soda, so I cannot tell for sure. Sorry!
Loved the recipe. I tried it out today and it came out pretty near perfect. The only small changes I made were to suit my convection oven. Because I use a convection, I had to bake at 160 C for 35-40 min instead of the suggested temperatures. Just wanted to leave that here for anyone who might find it useful. Thanks again – enjoyed baking this one
Thank you Tanmayi for trying and sharing the convection mode method. I am sure it is helpful for many…
How many eggs for it doesn’t specify? Thanks
It is 4 eggs, all the measurements are given in the recipe card in the bottom of the post. Hope this helps!
1.5 Nutella .this means ( 1 cup plus 1/2 cup).???
Yes 1 1/2 cups of Nutella
Had a great time making this with my 6 year old! Loved the ease of the recipe. Kids just couldn’t wait till it got out of the oven! I enjoyed it with and without the Nutella frosting! Your blog is always a great go to!
Thank you Pooja. So glad kids loved the cake.
Hi, my cake did not rise from the center but it did rise up at the edges, what is it that I would have done wrong. Is it mixing the contents using a spatula instead of hand mixer would have caused the problem, plz let me know.
The cake cooked completely though with wonderful aroma and taste.
Hi Samina, I am not sure what could have gone wrong. Could be the pan….was it a smaller pan than recommended?I don’t think using a spatula could have caused the problem. But I glad you liked the cake!
Quick easy and tasty
Thank you Rebecca. I hope you enjoyed it.
Very detailed instructions… loved it
Thank you! Hope you try it sometime.
The top of my cake looks like it’s going to burn yet the toothpick still comes out wet 🥺
sorry to hear that….. you can cover the top of the cake with foil and cook for few more minutes. Covering ensures the top doesn’t burn further…..check after every 5 minutes to see if the cake is done.