Oat meal is a staple in our house and to my surprise I haven’t blogged any recipes using oatmeal. Today I would like to start the oat meal series. Some of the recipes which i will be blogging are Oats dosa, oats upma, oats rotti, oats paratha, oats kichidi. Do come back to check out my recipes using oats as the star ingredient.
Bisi bele bath in general needs no introduction, its the classic Karnataka dish. In the past i have blogged the traditional bisi bele bath using whiterice for which i have got very good reviews. Recently I have blogged bisi belebath using brown rice. I hope you will enjoy this healthy and nutrients packed Oats Bisi bele bath recipe as well.
( serves 2 adults & 2 kids)
Instant oats : little over ½ cup
Toor dal: ½ cup
One Handful of white rice
Green beans, carrot, peas, corn – total 2 cups, cut to small pieces
Large Red juicy tomatoe- 2
Green bell pepper- 1
Medium onion- 1 chopped
Few curry leaves
Tamarind pulp – 2 to 3 tbsps or to taste
MTR Bisi bele bath powder- 2 to 2 ½ tsps
Red chilly powder- about ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 tbsps + 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Chana dal- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- In a pan add one tsp of oil and the oats, lightly roast them and keep on the side.
- In a pressure cooker, take the dal, white rice and chopped veggies with 3 cups of water. Cook for two whistles. Turn off the heat.
- Now in a deep pot do the tempering by adding the oil. When the oil gets hot add the mustard seeds. When mustard starts dancing around add the Chana dal and cumin seeds. Fry for few seconds. Now add the curry leaves, chopped onion, green bell pepper, ½ tsp turmeric powder and a generous pinch of hing.
- Fry till onion becomes soft. Add in the chopped tomato. Cook for a bit.
- Now add the oats and a cup of water. Cook for five minutes. Add the bisi Beale bath powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cooked dal,rice, veggies and the tamarind pulp. Adjust the water and the seasoning . Mix and keep it in low and simmer for fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Oats bisi bele bath tastes best when eaten right away. Serve the oats bisi bele bath with cooling raita and spicy chow chow. It’s the perfect combo!
Absolutely so tempting and delicious BBB. Feel like having it. I want to try this version soon.
Healthy and sambar rice is one of my favorite foods. Thx for linking.
Event: New U – 2013
Wow this is innovative. I am just thinking how BBB will taste with oats.
Looks delicious dear.
First time here and following you now.
Thanks Latha! Do try it its pretty good and healthy!
Happy to follow you. I would be glad, if you stop by mine too.
nutritious recipe…thanks for uploading
This looks really healthy and yummy dear…
This looks great recipe.Must be tasty too…
Yes, Neela!Its quite healthy too.
This Really Healthy and Tasty Recipe….Loved the pics very much 🙂
And yeah when I heard that news I was shocked and cried….Really we all living in the world without safety 🙁