Akki rotti is a traditional Karnataka breakfast which is made using rice flour. Today i used instant oats as the main ingredient in making these rotti. Very little rice flour is used to bind the dough together.
In addition to onion, I also used finely chopped chayote and grated carrot in the dough. These are typically eaten with any pickle or chutney. We ate it with some Baingan Bartha, I had at home.
- Instant oats- 1 cup
- Rice flour- 2 cups
- Large onion finely chopped
- Small Chayote (Chow chow,Seemae Badhne kayi or Seemvankaya- )1 finely chopped
- Small grated carrot-1
- Green chilly – 3 to 4, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Few finely chopped coriander leaves
- Freshly grated coconut- 1 to 2 tsps ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl add the oats and add just enough water to soak them. Let it stand for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes add the onion, chayote, carrot, green chilly, cumin, coriander and salt.Mix well. At this point the dough will be sticky.
- Now slowly add the rice flour and necessary water. Mix and until well combined.
- Spread some oil evenly on the tava or pan.
- Take some dough and try spreading it evenly on the pan.
- Dap your hands with water, and try to gently spread the dough to firm a circle. (You can also use a banana leaf in making the rottis.)
- Put a tsp of oil around the rotti and cook on both sides till the rotti turns golden brown in color.