Akki rotti is a traditional Karnataka breakfast which is made using rice flour. Today i used instant oats as the main ingredient in making these rotti. Very little rice flour is used to bind the dough together.
In addition to onion, I also used finely chopped chayote and grated carrot in the dough. These are typically eaten with any pickle or chutney. We ate it with some Baingan Bartha, I had at home.
- Instant oats- 1 cup
- Rice flour- 2 cups
- Large onion finely chopped
- Small Chayote (Chow chow,Seemae Badhne kayi or Seemvankaya- )1 finely chopped
- Small grated carrot-1
- Green chilly – 3 to 4, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Few finely chopped coriander leaves
- Freshly grated coconut- 1 to 2 tsps ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl add the oats and add just enough water to soak them. Let it stand for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes add the onion, chayote, carrot, green chilly, cumin, coriander and salt.Mix well. At this point the dough will be sticky.
- Now slowly add the rice flour and necessary water. Mix and until well combined.
- Spread some oil evenly on the tava or pan.
- Take some dough and try spreading it evenly on the pan.
- Dap your hands with water, and try to gently spread the dough to firm a circle. (You can also use a banana leaf in making the rottis.)
- Put a tsp of oil around the rotti and cook on both sides till the rotti turns golden brown in color.
what is Chayote ?
Healthy recipe and a good dose of fibre for your morning breakfast! Nice!
Such an healthy roti dear ..luvd it.
what a healthy roti and using veggies I love – this is going on my must try list
Do try it and let me know.
Wow I luv the use of cheyote here. Lovely twist for the akki roti with oats and the veg. Luv it.
Do try it. Its pretty good!
Yummy and healthy roti dear… loved it…
COCONUT CORIANDER CHUTNEY
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Love the ingredients in the roti. Inviting and healthy.
Event: New U – 2013
Thanks Vardhini. This recipe is very regular in our house. Its no guilt healthy recipe.