Last Updated on
A fantastic way of using up the the peel of the Bottle gourd is by making pachadi (Chutney) with it. There are few variations in making this chutney. Today I paired the bottle gourd peel with green chilly, cumin seeds and coconut. A perfect side for roti and rice.
Check out my other pachadi recipes here-
Check out my Andhra recipes here
Bottle Gourd Peel Chutney | Sorakaya Tokku Pachadi | Doodhi Peel Chutney
- Peel of one large Bottle Gourd / Doodhi / Lauki/ Tokku pf Sorakaya
- Fresh Coconut- 2 to 3 tbsps
- Green chilly – 3 or to taste
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly -1
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 2 pinches
- Asafetida- 1 pinch
- Handfull of Coarinder leaves
- Few Curry leaves
- Tamaraind paste to taste
- Oil – 3 tsps
- Salt to taste
- Peel and chop the the skin of the bottle gourd and set a side.
- Slit the green chilly.
- Heat oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds and the green chilly. Sautee for 30 seconds.
- Add the peel of the bottle gourd, turmeric powder and some salt. Sprinkle some water, mix and cover with a lid.. Cook in a low flame till soft.
- Add the coconut and sauté for a minute.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the tamarind paste and Coriander leaves.
- When the mixture cools down a bit, take it to a mixer, add tiny bit of water and form a coarse paste.
- Do the tempering by heating a tsp of oil. Add the mustard seeds and let crackle. Followed by chanadal, cumin seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilly and asafetida. Fry for few seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Add the tempering to the pachadi and check for the seasoning.
- Serve the Bottle Gourd Peel chutney with rice or roti.