Easy, tasty and lip smacking tomato pickle made with fresh ripe tomatoes. This home made pickle can be eaten with rice, idli, dosa, upma, pongal or curd rice.
Indian meal is not complete with out a pickle on the side. Store bought pickles have lot of salt, oil and preservatives. Though it is very convinent to buy a store bought pickle, there are some pickles which can be easily made at home.
One such recipe is this Tomato Pickle, make tit when you have ripe tomatoes. If stored properly in the refrgirator, this pickle can stay fresh for few weeks.
This Tomato Pickle is
- so easy to make
- is spicy, tangy and deliciously lip smacking
- can be served with rice or any breakfast item.
Ingredients needed to make the Tomato Pickle are
- Ripe fresh red tomato ( I used roma tomato, but any kind should work)
- Garlic Cloves
- Red chili powder ( i used a combination of mild kashmiri chili powder and hot chili powder)
- Fenugreek seeds
- Mustard seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Salt ( to taste) and Sugar ( to balance out all the flavors)
More Pickles or Chutneys from the blog –
Easy Tomato Pickle
- Medium Tomato- 10 ( I used Roma Tomato)
- Garlic loves – 4
- Red chilly powder- 1 tbsp or to taste ( i used a combination of kashmiri red chili powder and hot chili powder)
- Fenugreek Seeds ( Methi Seeds)- about 12 to 15
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
- Oil- ¼th cup
- Asafoetida- a generous pinch
- Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Sugar- 2 pinches (optional)
- Wash the tomatoes and pat dry. Chop them and set a side.
- Peel the garlic and thinly slice them.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan . When the oil gets hot add the mustard seeds and let crackle. Add the chana dal and fry for 30 seconds. Add the sliced garlic, fenugreek seeds and Asafoetida and sauté for few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomato, salt, red chilly powder and sugar. Mix well and cook in medium to low heat stirring in between till the oil seperates and the tomato is completely cooked and mushy.
- Turn off the flame. Allow to cool and store in a air tight container. Stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- Serve the Tomato pickle with rice, roti, bread, and curd rice.