Long back I had started Pachadi series where I share the recipes of pachadi’s from my home state Andhra. After some break I am planning to post few more pachadi recipes. Pachadi ( chutney ) is an integral part of any Andhra meal. I am extremely fond of pachadi’s and growing up I have eaten so many different variety of pachadi’s which my mom made.
The recipe I am sharing today is Urad dal pachadi , which is one of my most favourite pachadi’s of all time. The key in making this pachadi is to coarse grind it. Do not make a smooth paste , it has to be a coarse texture pachadi.
These pictures were taken during my recent visit to India. No Dslr camera, no props are used in clicking. Just held the plate in one hand and pointed it towards the large tree which faces my parents balcony and clicked the pictures.
Check out my other pachadi recipes here-
Check out my Andhra recipes here
Urad Dal Chutney | Minapa Pappu Pachadi
- Urad Dal / Minapa Pappu- 1/4th cup
- Dry Red Chilly – about 8 ( adjust the chilly according to your taste(
- Small onion -1 chopped
- Tamarind- Small lemon size
- Corainder seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 3/4th tsp or as desired ( donot skip it)
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Salt to taste
- Soak tamarind in some water for few minutes.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the dry chili, urad dal, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Keeping in low to medium heat roast them till light brown.
- When it cools, grind it in a mixer to a coarse powder .
- Add the soaked tamarind , salt, sugar, and very little water and grind it.
- Finally put the onion and pulse it few more times. Don’t grind the onion smooth. You should still be able to see some chunks of onion pieces.
- Serve the Urad dal chutney with ghee and rice.