Minapa Pappu Pachadi or Urad Dal chutney is Andhra Style chutney made with urad dal, dry red chili and tamarind.
This slightly coarse chutney is served with hot white rice and a dollop of ghee.
About this recipe
For many this recipe may be very new, this Urad Dal Pachadi is a Nellore delicacy. Nellore is a coastal city in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
The main ingredient in this recipe is Urad dal. Pan fried urad dal, dry red chili, cumin and coriander are ground to a coarse paste with tamarind.
In the olden days mortar was used to make this pachadi. You can also make it in a small blender, just make sure you pulse it few times. Do not make fine paste. If you make it very smooth the taste changes completely.
More Andhra Pachadi Recipes –
Urad Dal Chutney | Minapa Pappu Pachadi
- Urad Dal / Minapa Pappu- ¼th cup
- Dry Red Chilly – about 6 ( adjust the chilly according to your taste)
- Small onion -1 chopped
- Tamarind- Small lemon size
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ¾th tsp or as desired ( do not skip it)
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Soak tamarind in some water for few minutes.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the dry chili, urad dal, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Keeping in low to medium heat roast them till light brown.
- When it cools, grind it in a mixer to a coarse powder .
- Add the soaked tamarind , salt, sugar, and very little water and grind it.
- Finally put the onion and pulse it few more times. Don’t grind the onion smooth. You should still be able to see some chunks of onion pieces.
- Serve the Urad dal chutney with ghee and rice.