Last Updated on
Palak kadhi or spinach kadhi is a yogurt based gravy made with palak/spinach, green chilly and indian spices. Its a popular gujarati recipe served with rice.
Palak kadhi is a comforting recipe made with yogurt called dahi in Hindi and besan (chick pea flour). Its typically a mildly spiced kadhi recipe, we like it little spicy. So please adjust the spices according to your taste.
Gujarati cuisine has a wide collection of vegetarian recipes. They have the best combination of sweet and sourness in the recipes. Kadhi is one such recipe, which is comforting when served with plain white rice.
Another favorite recipe from the cuisine of Gujarat, is the gujarati dal. You can watch the vidoe of my gujarati dal in my youtube channel.
If interested, Please do take a look at my Mushroom Kadhi recipe.
Palak Kadhi Recipe:
- Spinach – 2 cups packed
- Medium onion- 1 thinly sliced
- Ginger-1 inch finely chopped
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1/4 th tsp (optional)
- Green chilli -1, slit
- Red chilly powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/4th tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp or (use 2 cloves and 1/2 inch cinnamon stick)
- Yogurt/ curd-1 cup
- Chick peas flour/ besan – 3 teaspoons
- Water about 2.5 cups for the gravy
- Few Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3tsps
- In a skillet add the oil, when it gets hot add the mustard seeds. When the mustard starts dancing around, add the cumin seeds and ginger. Fry for 15 seconds.
- Add in the green chily, onion, turmeric and salt. Saute till onion turns translucent.
- Now add all the spices- coriander, cumin,red chilly powder, fennel powder. Fry for 15 seconds.
- Add the chopped spinach and tomato. Cook till tomato gets soft.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, mix the chickpea flour and yogurt with a whisk. Whisk vigorously to make sure there are no lumps.
- Slowly stir this yogurt mixture to the spinach tomato mixture. Mix well and simmer the curry for ten minutes. Finally add the chopped coriander leaves. Turn off the heat.
- Check for seasoning and adjust.
Serve the Spinach/Palak kadhi with rice.
Few other recipes you may like