Palak Kadhi or Spinach Kadhi is a yogurt based gravy made with spinach, chick pea flour and Indian spices. Its a popular North Indian dish often served with rice.
Palak is the Indian name for Spinach and Kadhi is a yogurt based gravy.
This Palak Kadhi
- is a tangy yogurt based curry with the goodness of spinach
- can be easily made in 20 minutes
- is a comfort food enjoyed with rice and papad
There are many variations to making Kadhi. The popular one is the kadhi with pakora. The one I am sharing today is palak kadhi, which is simple and easy to put together on a busy week day.
Serve the kadhi with rice, salad and papad and you can enjoy a comforting dinner at home in under 30 minutes.
More easy dinner recipes-
Palak Kadhi | spinach Kadhi
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- 1 cup plain yogurt, whisked
- 4 tsp chickpea flour
- 1 green chili, slit
- ½ cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger,finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp hing (asafoetida)
- 5 methi seeds
- salt to taste
- 2.5 cups water or as needed
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
For the final tadka-
- 1 tsp ghee
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- ¼ tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp thinly sliced ginger
For the besan-curd mixture-
- In a bowl add the chick pea flour and room temperature yogurt. add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix until smooth and no lumps to be seen.
- Now add 2.5 cups of water and whisk again. Set a side.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin sizzles, add the methi seeds and asafoetida.
- Add the sliced onion and green chili and saute for 3 minutes.
- Now add the chopped ginger and garlic and cook for another minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now turn off the stove for a minute and add the prepared yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat and continuously stir the kadhi till it comes to boil.
- Simmer the kadhi for 15 minutes until thick to your liking. Add salt when the kadhi is half way cooked. Mix occasionally to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- If the kadhi becomes too thick add some hot water. Finally add ¼ tsp garam masala and fresh coriander leaves.
- Heat a small pan and add ghee let it melt. Once the ghee melts add cumin seeds, sliced ginger and 1 dry red chili. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and add kashmiri red chili powder.
- Pour the tadka over the palak kadhi and enjoy with steamed rice.