Last Updated on
- Cut Spinach/ palak – 4 cups packed ( I used baby spinach)
- Medium onion- 1 chopped
- Green bell pepper – 1 cut to small pieces
- Green chilly- 3
- Garlic cloves- 2 ( thinly sliced)
- Large juicy red tomatoes- 2 chopped
- Tamarind pulp to taste
- Brown sugar/ regular sugar- 1/4 th tsp
- Salt to taste.
In a vessel put some oil, when it gets hot add the mustard seeds. When the mustard starts popping add 1/2 tsp each of chana dal and cumin seeds.Followed by green chilly and garlic. Add two pinches of hing and fry for few seconds. Then add the onion and the bell pepper. Cook till the onion and pepper gets little soft. Now add the tomatoes and Salt.
Cook for another five minutes. Add the cut spinach, tamarind pulp and quarter cup of water. Mix and close the lid. Let it simmer for good fifteen minutes. Finally add the brown sugar.
Serve the stew with white rice/ brown rice /chapathi. I served mine with some brown rice.
- Its important to use the ripened tomatoes for this dish. It does make a difference in how it tastes.
- You can add some plain red chilly powder if the stew is not spicy enough for you.