Last Updated on
- If you watch Food Network regularly, then you might have heard about Panettone. All the Italian chefs in that channel rave about this bread from time to time. According to them this bread is very popular during Christmas and involves lot of labor in making. Panettone can be eaten just like that or can be used in bread pudding, French toast and in trifle to name some.
- I heard its an expensive bread, so never even bothered or tempted to buy it. But recently in our local Walgreen’s i happend to see some tiny mini panettones selling for a buck! I was like, let me just buy and taste this so much talked about bread. The one i bought had candid fruit and raisins in it.When tasted,I felt there was nothing different or anything special about this bread.It had the sweetness of a muffin, but more dense and firm bread.This is just my opinion!
- Recently i saw Giada making a trifle out of it. She used mascarpone cheese and coffee liqueur in her trifle. I replaced those with whipping cream and coffee.
- Take chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl and cook for 30 seconds. Remove mix it with a spatula. Then add the sugar and two teaspoons of coffee and mix. Then slowly fold in the whipping cream.Taste the mixture, if you feel its very chocolaty then add more whipping cream. Same with the sugar, you can add if you want more. For me, since i used semi sweet chocolate chips even 1 tsp of sugar was little too sweet.
- Now take two glasses put few panettone pieces in the bottom, add two tsps of coffee on panettone (make sure you drizzle the coffee on most of the pieces). Now add little bit of chocolate mixture , then cover with whipping cream. Now repeat another layer with panettone, coffee, then chocolate mixture. Now cover the glasses with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. Let stand overnight.
- An hour before you serve, leave it on the counter top. It helps the panettone to come to room temperature. If not panettone and chocolate mixture will be thick and hard in texture.
- Right before serving, top it of with a dollop of whipping cream and some chocolate shavings.
- I really loved the trifle, it was a very good treat for a chocolate lover like me. To my surprise Ven who is not a chocolate lover, also loved it! Its a keeper.But next time i may just do the trifle with my trusted companion pound cake!
- Note: Its important that the trifle sits for few hours before serving. If not the ingredients wouldn’t mingle and the taste wouldn’t be the same!