Wishing everyone a very Happy Krishna Janmashtami.!
Krishnashtami,/ Janmashtami / Gokulashtami is a festival celebrating the birth of Lord Krishna in India.
Poha/ Atukula is believed to be one of the favorite ingredients to Lord Krishna. Today I made Poha Laddu ( Atukula Laddu) and Poha Pulihora ( Atukula Pulihora) as Neivedyam to Lord Krishna.
Poha laddu/ Atukula Laddu-
- Flattend rice /Poha/ Atukulu- 1 cup
- Dry/ Fresh Coconut – ½ cup
- Grated Jaggery – ½ cup
- Ghee / clarified butter- 4 tsps
- Cardamom pods- 2 crushed
- Cashew pieces- Handful
- Water – little less than ¼th cup
In a pan, heat a teaspoon of ghee and roast the cashew to light brown. Remove and set a side.
In the same pan add 2 tsps of ghee and poha. Roast the poha in low heat until crisp. Remove and let it cool.
In the same pan add the rest of the ghee and roast the coconut till pale brown. It takes about two minutes.
In a mixer add poha, cardamom and coconut and grind it to a fine powder.
In a pan add water and the grated jaggery. Let the jaggery come to a boil. Turn off the heat.
- Add the poha powder, cashew and cardamom powder to the jaggery syrup. Mix it well and set a side for 5-10 minutes.
- The poha would have absorbed the liquid and become soft.
- Form ladoo, and store in a sir tight container.
- If the ladoo is not binding add little more ghee.
Poha laddu are slightly grainy in texture. After making the laddu ,let stay for 30 minutes before serving!